Churchwarden Pot Prince

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Literaryworkshop

Churchwarden Pot Prince

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Here's one for critique. I started out by sketching out what I thought looked kind of prince-like, but wanted it bent. Then somewhere along the line it transformed itself into a pot, but retained the low bottom of a prince. I think I need to print out photos of the shape I'm trying to make and tape them up around my workspace. I don't absolutely dislike the results, but I'm not really satisfied with how the shaping came out.

Anyhow, the buffing on the stem is still uneven--more so than you can see in the photos--and I need to take care of that before this one goes any further.

- Steve S.
sandahlpipe

Re: Churchwarden Pot Prince

Post by sandahlpipe »

Part of the reason the shape didn't work out is that the chamber is too wide for you to do much more to the bowl. The stem just needs more sanding in the uneven spots, but I'd recommend using a pillar file to get it flat.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I want to applaud doing more than a few churchwardens. I look at those stems and my head starts hurting. I have a hard enough time doing a "regular" sized stem.

As far as this pipe goes, I also feel that the chamber is rather large. I think if you did something to the rim other than leaving it flat might help make it look more comfortable. Rounding out the bottom might help too.

What you said about having a picture of the pipe you want to do in front of you would be a good idea. If I remember correctly, this isn't your first fusion pipe. A while back you also made a diamond shanked billiard that didn't really work either. The mantra here - start with classic shapes (billiards) - makes more sense to me after every pipe I finish. I think if you got some classic shapes down really good, then fusing them together would actually be a whole lot easier.

That's all I got.

Kiel
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

The stem is a premold, so it's really pretty easy, apart from getting it all buffed out evenly. It's not like I'm trying to drill eleven inches of solid rod.

Anyhow, thanks for the pointers.
- Steve S.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

kamkiel wrote: What you said about having a picture of the pipe you want to do in front of you would be a good idea. If I remember correctly, this isn't your first fusion pipe. A while back you also made a diamond shanked billiard that didn't really work either. The mantra here - start with classic shapes (billiards) - makes more sense to me after every pipe I finish. I think if you got some classic shapes down really good, then fusing them together would actually be a whole lot easier.
This is a good point. Start with an idea of what you're going to make and make exactly what you plan on making. Pipe making shouldn't be like the shooting gallery at a fair where you get whatever you hit. Take aim at a specific target. Only then will you be able to measure your success. Recovering from mistakes almost always looks like a mistake.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com