zulu or horn... its curvy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

zulu or horn... its curvy

Post by kamkiel »

I originally was trying to make a Zulu, but it might just be a horny little thing. I honestly can say that I haven't been this excited and pleased with a pipe for a while. The shape is probably not what it should be, but the reason I am happy with it is because I feel that my stem work has improved. I smoked this pipe yesterday, and it was really comfortable. Whatever shortcomings this pipe has (which I hope you point out), it is still a win for me. As always critiques are welcomed, and thanks for having a look.

Kiel

LatakiaLover

Re: zulu or horn... its curvy

Post by LatakiaLover »

Not bad at all. 8)

The main glitch that jumps off the page is too much material remaining on the stem (along the bottom) for about the first half of the way forward of the shank/stem joint. The entire bottom line could use a bit of slimming from heel to button, but the line-breaking bulge definitely should go.

Only guessing, but it looks like you shaped, bent, and then stopped. Delicate & subtle "French curve" bends can usually only be nailed if further shaping is done after the bending occurs.

Also, the bite zone looks slightly thick.

I'd call it a Zulu, by the way. Horns have a more "straight trumpet" look, I think.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

LatakiaLover wrote: The main glitch that jumps off the page is too much material remaining on the stem (along the bottom) for about the first half of the way forward of the shank/stem joint. The entire bottom line could use a bit of slimming from heel to button, but the line-breaking bulge definitely should go.

Only guessing, but it looks like you shaped, bent, and then stopped. Delicate & subtle "French curve" bends can usually only be nailed if further shaping is done after the bending occurs.

Also, the bite zone looks slightly thick.

I'd call it a Zulu, by the way. Horns have a more "straight trumpet" look, I think.
I see exactly what you are talking about. I have the pipe in front of me and that bulge just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I'll take it back to the shop this week and see if I can make the adjustments you pointed out.

I did shape, then bend, but continued to work it a little bit afterwards. I will admit though that most of all my attention was focused on getting a more handsome button. After I finished the button, all the other existing problems just faded away. I will have to start making it a habit to let my "finished" pipes sit around for a couple days so I can calm down and have a look later on.

The pipe is pretty small: 13.5cm long and 27g. Behind the button is 4mm give or take 0.1. I have "unelectric" calipers so my measurements are hard to place decimals to.

Really helpful feedback, and I will start calling it a Zulu.

Thanks,
Kiel
socrates

Post by socrates »

Overall a very pleasant shape.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk