Rustic Dublin...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Rustic Dublin...

Post by JMG »

This pipe ended up having a fair amount of flaws...mainly on one side of the shank and the shank side of the bowl. I did a pretty bad job at hiding them. So, I decided to try "embrace the flaws" and give it a bit more of a rustic look, by trying for a bit of a fade in the stain and also buffing some off to give it a few highlights...basically make it look worn a touch. Not sure if I achieved the look very well.

Mark pointed out to me that this pipe would probably have looked more finished had I done some sort of shank cap. I think he's right, but I sort of chickened out since I only have 3 weeks left in the States and didn't want to totally ruin any blocks. Shank caps are still fairly new territory for me.

5 1/4" long, 2 1/2" tall, 50g...Critiques are much appreciated.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
maxmil

Re: Rustic Dublin...

Post by maxmil »

Another nice pipe.
Best regards.
Félix
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Really like the finish, it hides the flaws really well and still looks great. Agree about the shank cap but still came out great, did you smoke it or is that a bowl coating?
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

I've been looking at this one some more and I think the shank might look a little better if the top line had just a touch more curve to it. It's a little straight which is making the junction at the back of the bowl look a little more severe than it could. Someone else can tell me if I'm off base here, but if you follow the top line from the shank face back towards the bowl, in the second pic, when you get to the last little white line in the fabric, it should gently start to sweep back up to get ready for the junction with the bowl. It would need to be subtle to maintain the reversed taper of the shank, but it would make the whole pipe look a little more relaxed. I may be wrong. Nice work!
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Not very good at drawing on my phone, but anyway.
Really nit picky detail...

Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

That finish looks nice. I think that's a pretty attractive pipe overall!
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
JMG

Post by JMG »

Ian, that's just a bowl coating. Though it was full of fuzz after buffing the pipe.

Mark, thanks for the advice. I definitely see what you are talking about. having that more subtle curve in the shank would have definitely helped make it not so rigid looking. On top of shaping that transition too sharp I think I over blasted that area as well.

socrates

Post by socrates »

Very nice pipe!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Mark that a little less drastic of a reverse taper in the shank is a little more aesthetically appealing and a shank ring would really dress things up. The blast looks really nice and the stemwork looks really good to me. I buff and wax then sand the chamber to remove any compound and wax then bowl coat last. After that you can touch up the wax but that's about it especially the rim otherwise you get fuzzy tobacco chambers as you've discovered. Overall I think this is a pretty cool shape and pipe. Nice work, JM.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks, Wayne. Yeah, I think I've learned my lesson about coating the bowl too early...the hard way.