Devil Anse

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
mightysmurf8201

Devil Anse

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

My first Devil Anse. 4.5" overall length. Still working on mastering my camera work. As always, any comments and criticism are welcome.

#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
andrew

Re: Devil Anse

Post by andrew »

Photos should be a lot closer....
mightysmurf8201

I read somewhere that you should back off, then zoom in to get better overall focus. That's what I was trying to do here but it I guess I was too far back. Either that or I'm just going about it all wrong.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

You back up to take advantage of the optical laws that govern depth of field. In other words the entire pipe will be in focus because it is in the the focus "sweet spot" for the particular focal length lens and and f stop combination that are in play. Zoom in to make the pipe image fill the viewfinder. If you do not have zoom then crop the picture in your software. There is a trade off here in that you don't want to back up too far then suffer poor image quality because of enlarging the tiny image of the pipe to fill the frame in the software. The analogy here is trying to blow up a 35mm image too far and the grain of the film ruins the image. This is something that PhotoShop et al will not overcome. Electronic sharpening will not fix that aspect of shitty image quality.

Depending on what type of camera and lens you are using, you will find depth of field markings on the barrel of the lens. Barring that, one can find charts on the internet that will tell you depth of field for any given focal length and f stop.

Depth of field remains the same, regardless of lens focal length, so long as the image size (and f-stop) is the same. There is no point in changing to a shorter focal length lens and moving closer, because if the image size remains the same so will the depth of field.

You may have backed up in your pics but you did not either zoom in tight enough or crop enough. Either will eliminate distractions in the background.

To a degree, digital product photography violates one of the cardinal rules of photography i.e. get the camera close. You don't want to take a pic of your daughter in her prom dress from across the street with a Walmart disposable camera so get in close. Not necessarily the rule in product photography unless you are wanting to show something like your slot work in great detail. Get in close because depth of field in not an issue per se. Otherwise back up, zoom in and stop down (and use a tripod and the camera's timer).

I shoot all my pics with a Pentax K5 and a 100mm macro lens. Does great for the wide shots and if needed one can get in close and count the pubic hairs on a flea if one is into that sort of thing. For lighting I have a pair of Alien Bees strobes with diffusers.

Cell phone cameras are great for quick shots to post on IG. If it is your desire to take quality pics for web publication then at some point you have to bite the bullet.
That being said one does not need to mortgage the farm. George's antique Sony will do the job. You have to remember that the pics are being viewed via computer monitors and not on paper prints. Trying to achieve super hi-rez is a waste above the equivalent of a three or four hundred dot-per-inch printer. Imagine viewing Ansel Adams' "Moon Over Half Dome" thru a screen door versus looking at the original print.
mightysmurf8201

I'm using a Canon Rebel T3 with a EFS 18-55 lens, so I'm confident my equipment is up to the task. I'm sure it's just me. I just fooled around with it for a bit just now and got some better results. I just have to improve on my photography skills, and probably improve my lighting. Thanks for explaining things for me.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I think the photos are fine. Maybe a little too far, but the really need cropped. Crop out all of that extra white space and they will look much better.
mightysmurf8201

Solomon_pipes wrote:I think the photos are fine. Maybe a little too far, but the really need cropped. Crop out all of that extra white space and they will look much better.
Noted. I'll do that before posting them to my site.

Anybody see anything I could have done better on the pipe? I like how it turned out and the customer loves it, but there's always something I miss until the fine people of this forum point it out.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I don't see anything in these pics that jumps out and bites me. Everyone has their own interpretation of the Devil Anse since there have never been any really good pics of the original other that some screen captures from the movie. That being said, for my taste the diameter of the shank where it meets the bowl is a tad large and the bowl a bit too elongated. Again, personal interpretation. If your customer is happy then you should be happy.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Your stem tapers are a bit concave like to took a little too much material off. Other than that it looks good.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
mightysmurf8201

It does taper down and then fishtail at the end. Photo session was kind of quick so I didn't get a good top down shot. I'm gonna try another one with a straight stem profile and see which one I like better.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
socrates

Post by socrates »

Nice pipe!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk