Blasted Volcano...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Blasted Volcano...

Post by JMG »

I personally hate the volcano shape. That being said, I can appreciate the work that goes behind one. I've seen where some of you guys who actually know a thing or two have taken this shape and even made some remarkable out it. (i.e. Mr. Weaver and his pipeodelic work.) I've been on an unplanned Dublin kick lately and decided to go the opposite route and that led me to the volcano. This is my first attempt at the shape so I would really appreciate your critique. Thanks guys.

Last edited by JMG on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
maxmil

Re: Blasted Volcano...

Post by maxmil »

Very nice pipe, and well executed.
Best regards.
Félix
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

That's your best work yet, I think. :D

The stem is a bit too long overall (both the cylindrical and blade portions), and the cylinder/blade transition edges a bit over-buffed, but that's about it. Maybe a slight sideways cant as well (bottom pic), but that's tough to see with parallax & etc.

PS -- the rim might be a bit thin (and therefore prone to burning), but we'd need a top or oblique-down pic to be sure.

PPS -- Stellar blast
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I agree that the stem is too long.

Other than that the composition is nice and neat. Volcanoes are great for practicing those convex curves. That skill will transfer over to different shapes.

Great work! :thumbsup:
JMG

Post by JMG »

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me some pointers. I completely agree that the stem is too long. If I had to go back and do it over I think I would take half the length off the cylinder part but leave the length in the "blade." As I looked over a lot of pictures of other volcanoes on thing that I didn't like was that many of them seems stubby, almost nosewarmer'ish to me and I think I over compensated.

When shaping this pipe, I fist took it down to volcano with straight angles, no convex curve. Then used a dremel to create the convex. Is this a similar process for some of you other guys that have worked on this shape? Is there a better way? The angle of the shank didn't allow me to turn too far into the bowl on the lathe so most of it was done on the sanding disc.

George, I will try to get a photo of the rim in a bit so you can tell me if I went to thing or not.

Thanks again for the help.

Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

The technique doesn't necessarily matter if you achieve the desired end result. Of course, if you're doing this sort of thing for a living, efficiency plays a huge role. I've created convex curves using hand files, a dremel, and most recently the sanding disk on a variable speed motor. I've personally found the disk to be the most efficient way to achieve what I want, but it took time and there was a learning curve. I shied away from the disk when I first started working at Smokershaven because I could achieve better results, faster with hand files. That was what I knew. However after some experience I've found the disk to be much better. Your experience my prove similar, or different, but you should try experimenting with various tools to discover what is right for you.

So IOW, do what works best to get the result you want. Except for belt sanders... people who use those to shape a pipe are crazy... :roll: :lol:
brooksbanister

Post by brooksbanister »

Whoa! As far as making a pipe look like a volcano...you've done it! Your blast looks like lava flowing down the slope, the color makes it look as if it's smoldering, and the bottom of the pipe looks like a lava flow after it has cooled off and solidified. Great job!

Maybe a red cumberland would've kept the motif going and gave it some extra fire, but really you've got a grade-A volcano! :thumbsup:

-LB
Attachments
cooled lava.jpg
(cooled lava for reference)
(85.66 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I hate you....you're ugly........SORRY, I forgot to turn off my inner monologue before I started typing :lol:

Great pipe! I LOVE the blast on the bottom of the pipe! :thumbsup:

I have only finished one Volcano myself and did most of the shaping by hand with a half round file. I did very roughly shape it on the disc but was hesitant to go too far with it...didn't want to ruin the pipe. I am a bit more comfortable shaping on the disc now and would probably do more on the disc if I were to make another Volcano.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Agreed that the cylinder part could be shorter. Other than that, me likey alot.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

nice blast
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

This is one of the best you have done. Nate King crossed my mind since he and Bruce Weaver are two that give this shape life and beauty.The stem is good and imho a personal choice.The blast is very well done!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks for the critiques and compliments guys.

George, here is a pic of the rim. Too small?

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I have made thinner....looks okay to me. I wouldn't recommend going any thinner than that just as a precaution.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

That rim edge thickness should be fine. :D

The (nicely done, btw) slight bevel made it hard to tell from the side how thin it was, is all. (And a blade edge will dish/scallop/burn with disconcerting ease.)

Often volcanos have a problem there because it's easy to "sharpen" them too much when fine-tuning the profile, I guess. (The technical term for that would be an "oopsie")

So, once again, outstanding job. 8) As Rad would say, "Now... go make another!"
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
ronps

Post by ronps »

You might learn to love the shape; great job on the shape, nice blast and color choice.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Well done! With these pointers, I would love to see the next one!
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

So apparently this is idiosyncratic, since all of you more experienced people haven't mentioned it, but the volcano shape seems to me to be more organic and less traditional, while the cylindrical shank and saddle seem to be more traditional. It seems to me that a shank like Mr. Weaver does (bottom line of the volcano continues to a shank that is more D-shaped with the bottom flat, then a asymmetical half-saddle thing) on his volcanoes flows a bit better.

Am I just a weirdo for thinking that way?
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thomas, I think you are dead on. I actually thought about doing that sort of shank before I ever started shaping. However, this being my fist attempt at a volcano I was pretty intimidated by it and decided to keep things more simple. Next time, though...no excuses.

Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

Yeah, I didn't mean to knock your pipe at all. It's really nicely done. I'd love to see you do another like that.
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thomas Tkach wrote:Yeah, I didn't mean to knock your pipe at all. It's really nicely done. I'd love to see you do another like that.
What an butthole.