Coleen Learned

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Paul_Tatum

Coleen Learned

Post by Paul_Tatum »

I got back home for a visit today and in my stack of mail was the P&T magazine. I was shocked to see the memorial for Coleen Learned. This was my first news of this. I always made a point to go see the Learneds at pipe shows. I'll miss Coleen.

Paul
ToddJohnson

Re: Coleen Learned

Post by ToddJohnson »

Paul_Tatum wrote:I got back home for a visit today and in my stack of mail was the P&T magazine. I was shocked to see the memorial for Coleen Learned. This was my first news of this. I always made a point to go see the Learneds at pipe shows. I'll miss Coleen.

Paul
Hey Paul,

I share your sentiment. She was a beautiful and joyful woman whose presence will be sorely missed in many places I'm sure. I spoke with Sam about it in Newark and he said their last few months together were a delight. They did a number of things they had always wanted to do. Cold comfort no doubt, but I know those memories mean a lot to Sam. He was in noticably poor shape when I saw him, but spoke of pouring himself into his pipes with renewed vigor--something Coleen was always encouraging him to do. Pipe shows will certainly not be the same without Coleen's bright smile.

Todd
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

I was also blown away by the news. I've had several hour long talks with both Colleen and Sam over the years and have had several dinners with them as well. I also spent some time with Sam in Newark during the March show and though he was understandably shaken by the past few months he promised Colleen that he would keep on with the things he loved,

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I too was stunned when I read of Mrs. Learned's passing. I never had the chance to meet her, but I sat next to Sam at the Richmond show. Of course, he talked about her quite a bit and I feel a small connection to her from that. Mostly though, I feel for Sam. He was such a wonderful "neighbor" at the show, and I cannot fathom the difficulty of losing one's spouse.

When I read the obituary in P&T I got a card and wrote a note for Sam. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find his address. I even contacted Chuck Stanion and P&T did not have it. I still have not sent the card. Do any of you guys happen to know his address?

Tyler
bluesmk

Coleen Learned:

Post by bluesmk »

Tyler,
Did a google: Samuel M Learned Jr. Atty. 149 E Market St. York, PA 17401
(717)-846-9290.....don't know if it's him, or a son.
Sam and Coleen were neighbors of mine at my first show in Richmond. Gracious people, both of them! Can't imagine, what Sam must be going through. She was a wonderful Lady.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Dang! Sure looks like him. I know York is correct. I must have tried everything BUT google.

Thanks!
marks

Post by marks »

I had a table next to the Learned's at the first TAPS show in Raleigh, and I spent a good portion of the show talking to Colleen. I echo all of your sentiments that she was a wonderful and gracious person, and she will be missed.
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It was very saddened to read it as well. Colleen was a shining star at the last NASPC show. I can still see the expression on her face as she asked to look at the pipe hanging out my mouth - a shop reject that she complimented profusely. My conversation with her and Sam was high point of my day at that show.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com