Olive Billiard...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Olive Billiard...

Post by JMG »

Set out to make a billiard, but didn't really turn out too well as far as shaping goes. Thankfully, this piece of olive wood is so pretty that I think it makes up for some of my mistakes. One of these days I will make a proper billiard...I swear it. I really struggle with the cheeks. I would greatly appreciate your critiques on my shaping and also on my button/slot. I tried to pay a lot more attention to opening the slot. I greatly admire many of your guy's work in this (and many other) area. I know the slot picture isn't the easiest to see, but maybe it will do good enough for critique.

Thanks guys.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Literaryworkshop

Re: Olive Billiard...

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I like the pipe. It's definitely a billiard. The top of the shank/bowl junction might have had a tighter radius, but the sides of the junction look good to my eye. I'm thinking that the bowl tapers just a little too much. The olive wood looks good.
- Steve S.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice one, JM. Only two minor things could be improved. The shank is a bit too long. The top of the shank to the bowl should equal the bowl shank junction to the rim. And, I agree with Steve that the transition at the top of the shank to the bowl could be a bit tighter. I think the bowl taper is just right.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks for the advice guys. Definitely right that the transition is too "wide." I used the same round rasp I typically use for that transition, but I think with the bowl slanting forward a bit that it widens that entire transition out.

I'm attaching a better picture of the slot. I tried to open it up a lot more this go around, but worried I may have overdone it a tad...?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

You might try a chainsaw file for that transition. They're cheap, but they load up fast, so you have to clean them out frequently.
- Steve S.
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Looks great stem looks great. Want to try olive wood pipe soon looks like a fun material. I use sandpaper wrapped around a needle file to do the transition.