Billiard/Pot? You decide

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RDPowell

Billiard/Pot? You decide

Post by RDPowell »

Well it's seems like it's been a couple of years since I made my first pipe, you know that Blue thing in my avatar.
Reckon I got bored because here's my 2nd pipe in progress. Figure it's better to show you now before I screw it up
with stain and polishing. Haven't a clue whether it's a Billiard or a pot but, I'm leaning toward pot. It just a rough shaping as you can see and I still need to straighten some lines and a few other things. Might rusticate the bowl rim but, I'm unsure. This was turned on my small Craftsman Lathe and the stem is pre-molded Vulcanite that I've cleaned up the button on a bit. I hate hand cutting stems, I reckon because I haven't done it enough. Anyway, you tell me, does it still have hope?

rdpipes.briar.club
RDPowell

Re: Billiard/Pot? You decide

Post by RDPowell »

Maybe you all didn't understand, I posted this to get some educated criticism, what's wrong, and if anything, what's right.
Looking forward to the beating. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It's easiest to critique a finished pipe. Finish the pipe and then we can tell you what needs to be improved. From the looks of it, you can still get a nice pipe from it.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I figured you all could give me a tip or two in the right direction before I finsih this one.
I know that would make my life a little easier, although who am I to ask for a easier life. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

It looks like you are headed in the right direction. It is important to make the back cheeks look good in the transition so pay attention to the shape as you turn it around. You have a bit of convex on the the mouth piece which is subjective, but try to picture it being more straight coming in at an angle at the bite or even a hair concave, and consider to change it.

Putting a little curvature in the bowl walls would make it an apple. As you have it, I would call it a tall pot or short stack.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

PremalChheda wrote:It looks like you are headed in the right direction. It is important to make the back cheeks look good in the transition so pay attention to the shape as you turn it around. You have a bit of convex on the the mouth piece which is subjective, but try to picture it being more straight coming in at an angle at the bite or even a hair concave, and consider to change it.

Putting a little curvature in the bowl walls would make it an apple. As you have it, I would call it a tall pot or short stack.
Thank you Premal, I see what your talking about and will certainly straighten the line of the stem. I do have a lot of work as I see it
to smooth this pipe all out in the right ways but, hope I can hit it. Thanks again sir. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

If it were me, I would rusticate the whole thing. Rusticating just the rim as you suggested would look pretty odd. Pulling off partial rustications can be challenging, and the rim is not one of the areas that looks good as spot rustication. There's enough imperfections on the stummel that I would just do the whole thing. There's also a gap between your stem face and shank face. What are you using to turn your tenons and face the stem? Prefab stems usually need more than just the button being tuned up, they usually need a good amount of reshaping. If you look at the third picture you'll see that the profile of the stem is not in line with the shank profile. The lines are going in two different directions. I recommend taking out the files and readjusting the shape of the stem a bit. Hope this helps.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

mightysmurf8201 wrote:If it were me, I would rusticate the whole thing. Rusticating just the rim as you suggested would look pretty odd. Pulling off partial rustications can be challenging, and the rim is not one of the areas that looks good as spot rustication. There's enough imperfections on the stummel that I would just do the whole thing. There's also a gap between your stem face and shank face. What are you using to turn your tenons and face the stem? Prefab stems usually need more than just the button being tuned up, they usually need a good amount of reshaping. If you look at the third picture you'll see that the profile of the stem is not in line with the shank profile. The lines are going in two different directions. I recommend taking out the files and readjusting the shape of the stem a bit. Hope this helps.
I haven't decided whether I should rusticate it or not because after all it's only my 2nd pipe and if anything it will be gifted to someone
who knows that anyway or sent to the circular file. The gap you see between the shank face and stem is a problem I caused out of stupidity and that won't happen again. But, this pipe will have to suffer my flaw for I do not know how to correct it at this stage without making it worse. (I used my lathe to face them off)
And yes I understand a prefab stem needs a lot of work other then what I mentioned and I will try and straighten up the lines as mentioned earlier. Thank you for your input sir. :wink:
rdpipes.briar.club
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Pot, coming nicely. Use briar next time! :twisted:

Stem still has a little "bulge" a little "zeppelin" sort of shape - make that taper immediate from the shank and straight to the button - no fat!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

PS put a little graphite on the shoulder of the stem (flat area at bottom of tenon). Insert into pipe and twist - it will darken the shank where it touches. File that off the shank and your gap will disappear. Go slow.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I will certainly try and get that straight sir and thank you Sas, I'll try that that graphite trick on the next one cause this one has already disappointed me enough today. :lol:
rdpipes.briar.club