Last one for a while

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

Last one for a while

Post by kamkiel »

I finished this one a couple of days ago. I was hoping somebody might help me catagorize it. Not quite sure if it is a cutty.

Background info - 4 dollar block (really small), the bamboo was burned sanded shellacked and polished, the stem has some scratches that I didn't get out.

Tell me what you guys think. Tell me if you hate it, what could have been done better, or anything you want.

Thanks for looking,
Kiel

W.Pastuch

Re: Last one for a while

Post by W.Pastuch »

I'll leave it to others to point out any imperfections because for some reason I love this pipe. I would smoke the hell out of it :D I can't really focus on the details that could possibly be improved because I find the general "vibe" so appealing ;)) Super cool pipe!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'd call it a bamboo shanked cutty. I like it. I've not seen anyone do a stem/bamboo transition like that and I like it. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I like the transitions and you did a great job on the bamboo!!
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

That is a killer pipe!
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Glad you guys like it! I had bought a lot of these little blocks and it has been fun trying to think of what I could do with them to maximize the little bit of grain they have. I have a friend here who was making tea tools out of bamboo and burning and sanding them was part of the process. I liked the effect so I went for it. The little button piece the pipe sits on and the stem/bamboo transition was taken from those Tsuge cherrywoods. One day the Tsuge pipe popped into my head while I was in the workshop. The cherrywood wasn't quite vivid in my mind while I was drilling and I ended up with the angles I have on my bamboo cutty.
Attachments
tsuge.jpg
tsuge.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Aesthetically, I feel like there's something a little off about the stem/bamboo junction. It might have looked better if the knuckle hadn't been cut in half. Other than that nit-picky detail, I like the overall shape.
- Steve S.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Literaryworkshop wrote:Aesthetically, I feel like there's something a little off about the stem/bamboo junction. It might have looked better if the knuckle hadn't been cut in half. Other than that nit-picky detail, I like the overall shape.
Do you think if I left a little bit more on it like the tsuge it would be better?
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Yeah, probably. Or maybe even a little more than the Tsuge, about the same amount you left on the other end of the bamboo, between the knuckle and the briar.

I say this having never worked with bamboo. I'm just saying what I'm seeing, not what I think I could do better.
- Steve S.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Literaryworkshop wrote:Yeah, probably. Or maybe even a little more than the Tsuge, about the same amount you left on the other end of the bamboo, between the knuckle and the briar.

I say this having never worked with bamboo. I'm just saying what I'm seeing, not what I think I could do better.
I'll keep that in mind next time I try another one with a stem like this. Thanks!
sam a

Post by sam a »

Not feeling this one at all, especially that transition from the bamboo to the stem. The cutty nub is kinda jarring to. Your buttons continue to improve though. And you are cool.
sam a

Post by sam a »

I also wonder how well the mortise will hold up... Unless you've got it reinforced somehow.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

sam a wrote:I also wonder how well the mortise will hold up... Unless you've got it reinforced somehow.
I'll tell you when it breaks.