Sold my first pipe today

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LittleBill

Sold my first pipe today

Post by LittleBill »

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I have had time to post, or even read here. Pipe making took a back seat to a bunch of other things that were non negotiable over the last half of last year. Still, the pipe bench called, and having some of the friends I do in our local pipe club, people twisted my arm. So today with much fear and trepidation, I delivered my first commission and first sale. The good news is, he loved it. It is not perfect, and has lots of warts, but it smokes (I watched him) and it seems to smoke well. I decided not to post this in the gallery, not because I am afraid of criticism, but rather because by the time I got to take pictures it was late at night and I had to hand hold the camera because I could not find the mount for my tripod.

In any case, this is a pickaxe requested by a friend of mine. He picked the shape, and gave me considerable latitude with how to design and finish it. The stem is hand cut, and the stumble is blasted with a two tone stain. I even put one of those smoker killing bowl coatings in it. I realize I do not have a lot of closeups, but any comments on how to improve, particularly on style, would be appreciated. Technical aspects are harder to see, and I am pretty confident I know what needs to be improved there. This is pipe number eight for me. Pipe number nine should be delivered to its new owner tomorrow, and if I can find my tripod thingie, I will have better pictures for the gallery.

To those of you who have been my mentors, I am hard at work at the things you have taught me, and I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me out. Thank you. And to all who have contributed to this board to make it an informative place, I really appreciate the time you have taken to share your knowledge and experience as well.
Jthompson1995

Re: Sold my first pipe today

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Congrats Bill!
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Thank you Jason! This is a whole new thing for me.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I like it! Congrats!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Good job! What counts in the end is that your customer is happy.
And now for the fond saying around here: Go make another one!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

That's great Bill and I'm happy all worked out.
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Thank you, gentlemen!