PITH 2015

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

Pipe shape PITH 2015

Poll ended at Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:18 am

Billiard
4%
Churchwarden
No votes
Bulldog
15%
Author
11%
Sitter (Not a poker)
11%
Bamboo shank sitter (Not a poker)
59%

Total votes: 27

mightysmurf8201

Re: PITH 2015

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

PremalChheda wrote:Emmanuel,

It may be wise to contact each of the remaining participants that have not posted completed pipes to find out if they are still in or not.

I will have my pipe complete before the deadline.
Sounds good. I'll be checking in with everyone later today.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

I think I'm gonna bail out. Got a half-finished pipe at this point.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Ratimus! Please don't bail. You will not learn by bailing, and we've obviously got quite a few bailing already. I also have a half finished pipe. Even if you're are late finishing, or not your best work, finish it. Mine is already not proving to be my best work, and is non typical, but I will finish it to the best of my ability. It will make a great pipe for someone. It may not even balance properly to sit, but I have so far really tried to make it appealing and most importantly smoke able. I'm hoping it will prove to be a good example for someone less experienced, or get feed back from one of the more experienced on what I could do better. You can do it! :thumbsup:
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Mines half finished as well. I do not have much to do except cut the stem, detail shaping, and finish. All the engineering is done.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Premal, I'm at about the same stage as you. My shaping is well outside my comfort zone, so we'll see how this one goes.

Nicholas, thanks for the encouragement. I intend on working right up to the deadline, or until the thing is done. Whichever comes first.

If nothing else, it will smoke well and have a comfortable stem.
Ryan Richardson

Post by Oakbear »

I started aiming for perfection, but have finished somewhere short of that! :)
It's my second bamboo, and the first went with no hiccups at all in the shank, so i was optimistic. This one i learned more!
I will post pics in the next couple of days.

All finished and ready to go though.
It's worth mentioning that now the deadline has moved i will be on holiday at that time, so my lucky(!) recipient may have to wait a bit as i away until the 17th. I might take it with me and post from there if that is going to be an issue?
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

I started aiming for perfection, but have finished somewhere short of that! :)
It's my second bamboo, and the first went with no hiccups at all in the shank, so i was optimistic. This one i learned more!

It's worth mentioning that now the deadline has moved i will be on holiday at that time, so my lucky(!) recipient may have to wait a bit as i away until the 17th. I might take it with me and post from there if that is going to be an issue?
mightysmurf8201

Oakbear wrote:I started aiming for perfection, but have finished somewhere short of that! :)

No worries. Thanks for the heads up. I'm also learning alot with mine, and making mistakes, as it's my first bamboo. That's what it's all about though!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
impish1

Post by impish1 »

I'm done shaping. Started cutting my stem. Not an easy task for a rookie but I'm going for it. I am looking forward to feed back specifically about my stem. It is definitely the hardest part in my opinion. Oh, and somewhere in the final sanding my pipe doesn't want to sit anymore! We'll see if I can coax it into behaving or not. Sending latakia infused clouds of incense heavenward asking for divine intervention.
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

A quick pic of my effort. I need to host the other images as they are too big to post, but can't as i am at work. Sorry it's not ideal for critique.

I know i messed up the transitions from the bamboo both ends, and my stem work needs improving, but otherwise not too unhappy. Feel free to let me know what else i did wrong!
Attachments
dx5TaRLkvmI7K0I00SMr5z26V6HFp6L11GE7VMf9-gDCg4Rm9OflWp9eoKJvi_MRJmJaOQ=s190.jpeg
dx5TaRLkvmI7K0I00SMr5z26V6HFp6L11GE7VMf9-gDCg4Rm9OflWp9eoKJvi_MRJmJaOQ=s190.jpeg (7.41 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Oakbear wrote:A quick pic of my effort. I need to host the other images as they are too big to post, but can't as i am at work. Sorry it's not ideal for critique.

I know i messed up the transitions from the bamboo both ends, and my stem work needs improving, but otherwise not too unhappy. Feel free to let me know what else i did wrong!
Hard to tell with the picture so small, but the shape looks great, proportions are good, and I really like the color choices!

cheers, Jeremy.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Okay, here's what I've got so far. It started life as a decidedly Asian looking Dublin-inspired freehand, but the process of getting it to sit has left it dangerously close to poker territory. I'm really not too happy with how this one is turning out, but what are you gonna do? The diameter of the bamboo is way too wide for such a small bowl. I'm not terribly sad about that flaw because I was planning on rusticating anyway, and it doesn't go into the chamber.
Ryan Richardson

Post by PremalChheda »

Ryan,

One quick improvement if you were not planning to already do it would be to put a convex bevel on the rim. The entire surface of the rim with a slight convex surface will look nice. Also, if you have not produced the stem yet, a short saddle may balance out the overall shape better.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Premal, thanks for the input. There's already a very slight dome on the outside of the rim, but there's no reason it couldn't be more pronounced. I'll take that into consideration. The inside part has yet to be done. I also plan on breaking that sharp edge to prevent charring.

The stem is not yet created I but was also thinking saddle bit. I don't think it would be appropriate to put a flare on the saddle due to its proximity to the previous knuckle, though. First bamboo ever, so I'm learning as I go here (as I'm sure a lot of us are). So far I've already figured out tons of things not to do on the next one.
Ryan Richardson

Post by Josh B. »

Im still in all i have left is to buff the stem.
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Ok, just a couple finishing touches to do tomorrow night but here's my offering.

6" long (tall)
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
mightysmurf8201

Jthompson1995 wrote:Ok, just a couple finishing touches to do tomorrow night but here's my offering.

6" long (tall)
Nice!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
2combs

Post by 2combs »

Jthompson1995 wrote:Ok, just a couple finishing touches to do tomorrow night but here's my offering.
Nice!
Tu Combs
RHOX Pipes
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Ok, now I'm officially out. Was not at all happy with the way mine was turning out, and now I'm out of town until past the deadline. Then when I get back I will be moving to a different state. I still plan on finishing my pipe (and its backup candidate as well) but neither one will be a part of the PITH. Sad times. Hope everybody who does participate posts tons of pictures and much valuable critique is shared.
Ryan Richardson

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Mine will most likely be a day late maybe two. I took a contract stone carving job that's had me working the last 9 days straight 10-12 hours a day. I'm whooped but still working on it and hope to finish it on Friday night but it may not be done till Saturday. I plan to take Sunday off and will finish it then if absolutely necessary. Sorry guys, i think everyone lately has been running into desperate time and having to get their hustle.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar