Diplomat

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Literaryworkshop

Diplomat

Post by Literaryworkshop »

My attempt at a diplomat.

I'm getting a little better at making round shapes without a lathe. I didn't get it all perfectly symetrical, though. Still using pre-molded stems, obviously. Stain is dark brown Fiebings topped with a mahogany aniline dye. I'm also still trying to get the most out of my little buffing machine.
- Steve S.
sandahlpipe

Re: Diplomat

Post by sandahlpipe »

Well work on getting better at the symmetry. Also, the shank and stem junction has a bulge. You'll want to eliminate those and have clean lines. When you look at the bowl from underneath, it should look round. Not teardrop shaped. There is still too much material there on the shank/bowl junction.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Literaryworkshop

Re: Diplomat

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I see the bulge now. In person, it's a kind of now-you-see-it, now-you-don't affair. Well, more careful next time.

As to the teardrop shape, that was more or less intentional. It's probably more exaggerated than it should have been, but the Dunhill diplomat I was modeling this on had a distinctly teardrop-shaped profile, at least as seen from the top. Now I wish I had saved the picture I was looking at, but it's gone.
- Steve S.