preventing cracks in horn.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Albert.A

preventing cracks in horn.

Post by Albert.A »

Hello everyone.

I have some buffalo horn tips laying around to be used for extensions or inlays or something. But today when I looked at them I discovered some cracking in a few of them, both lengtwise and delamination between the "growth rings". The tips I have are raw and are sealed on the cutting surface with something that lookes like super glue.

Now, It goes without saying I don't want this to happen when I use the horn on a pipe, so how do I prevent this from happening with un stabilized horn? any ideas?

Thanks! :D
Perfection is key, but damn near impossible to achieve!

https://www.facebook.com/albertsmokingpipes
Nate

Re: preventing cracks in horn.

Post by Nate »

Seal the ends with something (wax, paint, CA glue, take your pick...). And re-seal when you cut it. Your best option is to get the horn and let it set for a long time. I mean like 2 years (that's what pros have told me).
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Time is your friend with horn. When I get mine (fresh from the abattoir) I cut out the cracked/hollow material and leave it to sit for at least a year or longer. After I turn and fit the horn to the horn I also leave it several days/weeks as time allows for any extra movement before final sanding.
Charl

Post by Charl »

As an aside: does anybody stabilise it like wood? I've done both ways, stabilised and also letting it lie a long time. Both worked for me, but the stabilised horn just worked so much easier.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Was thinking of the same thing. It would take less time. Any dissenting opinions?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I don't think it is porous enough for stabilisation to work particularly well.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I use horn quite a bit. Time is your friend. I typically let mine sit for 2 years prior to use. The stuff moves like it was still alive... until it stops, which I guess would mean it's completely dead.
andrew

Post by andrew »

But seriously, the stuff moves a lot. Once I place it on a pipe I usually let it sit for a month before fitting a stem. It's pretty but it's a pain. Obviously I think it's worth it!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Make sure you plant a metal ring around the mortise, you'll most likely regret it if you don't (just shy of "the Sun will come up tomorrow" certainty).
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

andrew wrote:I use horn quite a bit. Time is your friend. I typically let mine sit for 2 years prior to use. The stuff moves like it was still alive... until it stops, which I guess would mean it's completely dead.
So what you're saying is you need dead root horn?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
andrew

Post by andrew »

Yes.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I'm sure that cow was dead when I drove over it..
Or maybe it was only dazed and crazed and is still happily grazing grass somewhere.
Which will explain why the horns that I took are still growing..
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Leanne and I drove out to see her parents and family at the weekend. The route we took was across Dartmoor National park which has free grazing animals. At one point we came across a herd of Highland Cattle, one of which was stood right in the middle of the road licking the salt. His horns were so wide they took up a large part of the lane on either side of him and I had to drive slightly off road to get past!

Wished I had a saw in the boot though! haha.
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: