Teipen Ryukin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Teipen Ryukin

Post by wdteipen »

Here's the latest finished. Critiques welcome.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Teipen Ryukin

Post by baweaverpipes »

There's lint on the stem.

That's a daisy, Wayne!!!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The lint comes free with the pipe, Bruce. No charge!
Wayne Teipen
socrates

Post by socrates »

Very attractive pipe lint and all. Thanks for showing us.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

My askifier must ask:

Why are the alignment dots (if that's what they are) offset from the centerline?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I would have stamped it in the center Wayne

:twisted:
Nate

Post by Nate »

LatakiaLover wrote:My askifier must ask:

Why are the alignment dots (if that's what they are) offset from the centerline?
Your eyeballs are offset from the centerline. :mrgreen: The shank isn't symmetrical so they only appear 'off'' have seen this pipe and they're on center in the real mutliverse.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nate wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:My askifier must ask:

Your eyeballs are offset from the centerline. :mrgreen: The shank isn't symmetrical so they only appear 'off'' have seen this pipe and they're on center in the real mutliverse.
Yep. It's the whole reason I put the alignment dots on it. The shank is asymmetrical and plays tricks with your eyes when aligning the stem. It's also why I stamped it to the side. If I stamped it centered on the centerline like the dots it would look weird. If I stamped it on what appears to be center of the shank it would make the dots seem even more off center. When holding the pipe in hand it really messes with your head a little.
Wayne Teipen
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

very nice pipe, always liked variations of this shape and first time seeing what its called. so is it a german shape or a japanese shape?
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

nice one wayne... the only critique I can offer is why didn't your round the shank end a little more... like 2mm .. more preferential than anything else

r/james
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Really nice pipe, Wayne!

I'll offer you some feedback that I received in Richmond. With symmetry and asymmetry, both work best when you embrace one completely instead of go half way. To me, on this pipe, you went half way. The composition leans more towards symmetry than asymmetry and my eyes want things to line up, which makes the pipe unpleasant to look at from certain angles.

I think the change in direction the bottom line takes is interesting but doesn't really fit with the rest of the pipe. If you'd rounded it or if you've repeated the angle on the front of the bowl I think you'd have a more harmonious composition.

I suck at photo editing, but I hope this helps communicate what I'm getting at.

http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
smg913

Post by smg913 »

I made a pipe like that once.....than I woke up. That pipe is amazing
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Beautiful pipe! :notworthy:
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

d.huber wrote:Really nice pipe, Wayne!

I'll offer you some feedback that I received in Richmond. With symmetry and asymmetry, both work best when you embrace one completely instead of go half way. To me, on this pipe, you went half way. The composition leans more towards symmetry than asymmetry and my eyes want things to line up, which makes the pipe unpleasant to look at from certain angles.

I think the change in direction the bottom line takes is interesting but doesn't really fit with the rest of the pipe. If you'd rounded it or if you've repeated the angle on the front of the bowl I think you'd have a more harmonious composition.

I suck at photo editing, but I hope this helps communicate what I'm getting at.

Mr. Huber,
If you're saying the top pipe is more interesting, yikes!
I love what Wayne did with this piece, sans lint on the stem!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

baweaverpipes wrote:Mr. Huber,
If you're saying the top pipe is more interesting, yikes!
I love what Wayne did with this piece, sans lint on the stem!
Eh, like I said, I suck at photo editing. Must've poorly communicated my intent.

I just mean that the sudden change in direction of the bottom line on the original is interesting, but feels out of place. I think the edited photo is one approach to balancing that choice, but by no means the only one. Just thinking out loud.

I think it's a really nice pipe, but there are always things that can be better. I think that this pipe could use some refinement in its design.

-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

David, I'm not following what you're describing entirely. What are you meaning when you say the bottom line changes direction? Something is unsettling to me about the overall design of this pipe but I really only see it when I look at it from the stem end or the opposite end. I'm not seeing what you're seeing in the profile shot. Can you describe it so I can understand what you're seeing? With the exception of the point on the end of the bowl, I think your photoshopped pipe looks like a good design but I don't see how it solves issues with my design. I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm just saying I don't see it. Can you elaborate?

James, which part of the shank would you have rounded more? Are you referring to the back, bottom edge of the shank?
Wayne Teipen
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Wayne, I am not going to do it but was wondering what You use for Your alignment dots, Norm.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

wdteipen wrote:James, which part of the shank would you have rounded more? Are you referring to the back, bottom edge of the shank?
it made sense to me .. hahaha... no the bottom back end .... but like I said, its more preference.. I like what you did w/the pipe... my drawing took too much off, but you get the gist...

happy thanksgiving
Attachments
wayne.jpg
wayne.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

wdteipen wrote:Thanks for the kind words everyone.

David, I'm not following what you're describing entirely. What are you meaning when you say the bottom line changes direction? Something is unsettling to me about the overall design of this pipe but I really only see it when I look at it from the stem end or the opposite end. I'm not seeing what you're seeing in the profile shot. Can you describe it so I can understand what you're seeing? With the exception of the point on the end of the bowl, I think your photoshopped pipe looks like a good design but I don't see how it solves issues with my design. I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm just saying I don't see it. Can you elaborate?
I think we're seeing the same thing when looking at the pipe from the stem end or the bowl end. I think the thing we're seeing is that the composition neither embraces symmetry nor asymmetry. The shank is asymmetric, but the bowl is not. It's disharmonious. I think a simple fix when viewing the pipe from these angles is to choose either symmetry or asymmetry for the entire composition. In the specific case of this pipe, I think that making the shank symmetric would've made more visual sense.

The suggestion that I'm making for the profile is to use repetition in order to justify the sharp turn on the shank. However, I think in terms of improving this specific design, James has offered the best solution.

-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's what I thought you were talking about, James. Thanks for the feedback.
Wayne Teipen