My First Pipe: In Process

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
d.huber

Re: My First Pipe: In Process

Post by d.huber »

Kyle Weiss wrote:I dunno, forget I said anything. :lol:

I don't really feel comfortable posting on pipemakersforum...it isn't that they're mean necessarily, it's just a place for people who really either want to or have perfected the craft. I'm just a hobbyist with no money and no real tools, and that means if I do this, I have to do it in a very non-traditional manner, and it's something that seems to be frowned upon over there, by and large. Then there's the tools (yes I added it up...) band saws, lathes, drill presses, french wheel kits, drill bits, etc: I came to about $4500, no joke--all stuff folks use on the forum and that's been suggested to me privately from other real carvers...

So it's just...kind of pointless to ask questions for "permission" about gear and method rather that just figuring it out.

The thing that frustrates me is the methods people say should and shouldn't be used, then one contradicting another, but not so much how and why--Kurt, you've done one better by defining these opinions, and I thank you.

Anyway, I appreciate at least knowing what might do damage to me, so the spoon bits I linked are apparently out only because though I could use them with a hand drill, they aren't good for other equipment.

Since car analogies are popular, I have a broken-down lawn mower, some wheels and a jeep seat, and I'm trying to get racing tips from a forum of NASCAR mechanics and engineers. :lol:

I think what it boils down to is, I'm kind of out of my league--again, forget I said anything, really sorry. I tell people all the time not to listen to me! I'm full of bull most of the time, get misunderstood the rest of the time. :lol: Honestly I think I'm gonna stick with carver kits...that's what they're for, guys like me. 8)

Thanks for the replies, anyway.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

kurthuhn wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:All those tools only help one to make an excellent pipe faster.
This is really the main point I like to drive home when folks ask for advice. All the tools in the world won't make you a good pipe maker, or even a passable one. The only thing that helps you get better is practice.

You really don't need $4500 in tools to make pipes faster, either. I just ran the numbers, going for bare minimum to get tooled up to make pipes quickly, and I came in under $1500 - and that includes a lathe! Now, I'm not telling anyone that they should do that, I only want to stress that you could. It really doesn't require a whole lot of tools.

That said, I encourage you to continue making pipes in whatever fashion you can afford or desire to get tooled up for. If using a brace and bit to hand drill chambers is what you want, I say go for it! If it makes you happy, then nothing else matters, and everyone else can bugger off.

Hmm. Now I have an odd desire to make another pipe using nothing but hand tools. :D I've done it in the past, just to prove to myself that it could be done. Wouldn't that make for an entertaining video! Kinda like my own version of Stuck with Hacket, except it will be Stuck With Huhn: in the workshop with no power.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

kurthuhn wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:Hmm. Now I have an odd desire to make another pipe using nothing but hand tools. :D I've done it in the past, just to prove to myself that it could be done. Wouldn't that make for an entertaining video! Kinda like my own version of Stuck with Hacket, except it will be Stuck With Huhn: in the workshop with no power.
Just gotta show me up on my first time out, dontcha? ;)

So there's a question. As far as making a pipe "entirely by hand" there seem to be a lot of discrepancies as to what that actually means. I started out with the goal of doing everything without the use of power tools, but wound up using my dremel because I'd still be sanding the chamber out if I hadn't. Does the pipe that I'm working on qualify for made entirely by hand still?

I see a lot of pipemakers who use lathes and all sorts of power tools to get the job done, but they do everything freehand. Does that qualify for a completely hand made pipe? What are the criteria?

-Tyler Beard
Leus

Post by Leus »

UberHuberMan wrote:I see a lot of pipemakers who use lathes and all sorts of power tools to get the job done, but they do everything freehand. Does that qualify for a completely hand made pipe? What are the criteria?
That's subjective. As long as you don't use a six-axe CNC contraption to get your pipe carved for you, or you bought an out-of-business french pipe factory, I would say your pipes are handmade. After all, you use your hands to shape, sand and polish the darned thing.

And regarding the kind of advise you get from this forum (I'm assuming it was you the one with the opinion, I'm kinda lost with all the cross-forums quoting), most of the pipemakers here will tell you about their way to make things. It is not by far the only "accepted" method. But you will be told if you are doing something backasswards. And since many pipemakers here are professionals, well, you will get that kind of advice, sure. But don't feel out of place, there are plenty of hobbyists here too.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Thanks for chiming in!

As far as the big opinion concerning blustering egos and what-not, that was stated by my buddy Kyle Wiess. I opposed his opinion because, well, that hasn't been my experience here. So far everyone here that I've interacted with has been great and I place a lot of value on all the advice that I've received. The level of support that I've had has been amazing as well, so I was a bit baffled by Kyle's thoughts.

Yeah, I can imagine how confusing all this reposting must be. I'm trying to make it as simple to follow as possible and I'm open to any ideas on how to make it better. If anyone has an idea, please PM me to let me know.

One thing that may help reading this thread: anything that I've said is not quoted. Anything said by someone else will always be quoted.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

kurthuhn wrote:That's a question that goes around time and again. "What does handmade mean?"

MY answer, not that it amounts to a hill of beans, is that anything that is made by a person without the use of automation qualifies as handmade. If a lathe is used, then as long as it's not a CNC machine and is being guided by computer, that's okay - the craftsman is manipulating that tool manually. Manipulating a lathe, or any other power tool for that matter, takes an acquired skill that is developed over a significant amount of time. But any monkey can put raw material into a CNC mill and pump out a part as long as they have the code for that part.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Kyle Weiss wrote:I've really said all I can say, but I guess I'll say more... I'm not going to give up, I'm just going to back down the ladder a little. :lol: Pandora's box is up there, apparently, and I needn't worry myself with it. :lol:

I have no less than thirty pages of advice given by carvers and makers, and I've tried to assemble it in some form. There's literally TOO MUCH information out there. My point is, if Peter Heeschen suddenly came out and said, "...guys, sorry to mislead you, but I make all of my pipes with a broken hunting arrow and a merry go round," there'd be thunderous applause and cheers to his innovation. A start-up guy needs to work with what he has, and he's met with challenges, tones of "who do you think you are, do you know who WE are?" and at the very innocent, "Here's how to REALLY carve a pipe (followed by 9,000 bits of tips, tools, gadgets, ideas, etc).

If this were electrical engineering, there'd be a specific way to say, "Oh well, this doesn't work because you used this capacitor over here when you should have used another over here..." and all would be well. There's absolute design involved. Pipecarving is also an artform. There's, of course, methods, tools and approach that all can coincide to get the rough idea. It isn't the end of the story, if you ask me. You can get away with much more flexible methods to reach the end result in comparison, and I was hoping to adapt a few of those. :)

I realize there's just as many egotistical turds that think if they can pick up a box cutter and a block of wood and match Alfred Dunhill products, and argue to that effect. That clashes with guys with earned ego, who has proof-positive skills because the checks with the cash paid on them are right in front of him. Suddenly, there may be a difference of opinion, mixed with earned experience and whatever social inadequacies we all have. (Mine is self-indulgent typing, as you may have noticed) :lol: Perhaps I just managed, in my search for simple information, to find some of the less-than-politely-stellar posts on pipemakersforum that caused me to get a bad taste. Who knows. In any case, information is abundant there, clarity is buried, I have nothing to contribute. It's useless for me to go doing what I'm doing now, over there, I'll just look like an ass. I've already embarrassed myself here, so it's okay. :P

I'm not in any of those categories. I have a $30 Wal-Mart drill, some clamps, a guitar case on a keyboard stand, a coping saw, some files, some random gouging tools, some sandpaper, and some stain I got from my luthier father in law. The hand drill is something in my crap in storage, buried someplace. That's it--all of which is "wrong". It's set up adjacent to my synthesizers, in front of a closet in a spare bedroom in an apartment. No lathe, no room for one, can't use one if I wanted to, and that goes for being able to buy it (or any other powered tool) to begin with. I can't even use the sanding disc attachment for the drill to help smooth the pipes, because I get red dust all over my electronics--not a good match. :lol:

I just wanted to carve a few pipes, not make a career, not fill up space I don't have with things I can't afford. Not show everyone what an instant "artiste" I am. Not get in pointless debates about who is right and wrong with tools and method. I'm just trying to make do.

Hopefully this makes sense. This thread isn't even about me, and that makes me feel like an ass...I kind of have to state my case, like me, it is unique. :lol: I'd much rather return it to Uber's project. Carry on.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Thanks for expressing your thoughts so clearly, Kyle. I can honestly appreciate your point of view.

Now like the man says, let's get back to work! :D

I haven't gotten a lot done in the last few days as my available hours have been much more limited. However, I've grabbed 20 minutes here, 45 minutes there and have made some progress. Enough, I think, to warrant a small photo update.

For a few days now, I've been debating whether to shorten the stem or not. Something kept nagging at me to cut off about a 1/4". Finally, I did some measurements and made some cuts and I am currently much more satisfied with the length of the stem. The stem has also begun to take shape. Check it out!

More to come!

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Kyle Weiss wrote:This is going to be a neat one. 8)

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Just finished two days off this week and boy was I laaaaaaaaaazy! I did get a little work done on the pipe though. At this point, most of the progress is pretty slow, but I'm keeping at it. I'll post a photo of the progress on the stem when I get home this evening.

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Stem work update:

What do you guys think? Call it done? :lol:

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Got off of skype a little while ago with Growley and boy was that a blast! Brian is a great guy to talk to and he was able to answer a TON of questions that I had. Seeing how his new chuck works and enables him to drill extremely precise holes was a thrill. Spin the wood and leave the drill bit stationary?! Cool. :D

We had a fantastic conversation about everything from tooling to facing the shank and stem to whether or not removing a stem between smokes for cleaning is a good idea. His willingness to share his time with me is something that I am extremely grateful for and will not soon forget.

Brian, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to speak with me. :D

-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

UberHuberMan wrote:Got off of skype a little while ago with Growley and boy was that a blast! Brian is a great guy to talk to and he was able to answer a TON of questions that I had. Seeing how his new chuck works and enables him to drill extremely precise holes was a thrill. Spin the wood and leave the drill bit stationary?! Cool. :D

We had a fantastic conversation about everything from tooling to facing the shank and stem to whether or not removing a stem between smokes for cleaning is a good idea. His willingness to share his time with me is something that I am extremely grateful for and will not soon forget.

Brian, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to speak with me. :D

Brian is an awesome guy. And he makes some nice pipes too.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Kyle Weiss wrote:Image

Yeah, sure, buddy.

8)

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

:P

And another update:

The stem is finally starting to look like it belongs on this pipe. From the bottom photo, you can see the continuity of that long bottom line coming together. Still lots of work to do, but it's awesome to see things slowly come together. Exciting stuff!

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Kyle Weiss wrote:The precise and pragmatic approach you seem to be taking is beyond what I've done thus far... :lol: This is going to be an awesome piece of smokable art. 8)

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Kyle Weiss wrote:The precise and pragmatic approach you seem to be taking is beyond what I've done thus far... :lol: This is going to be an awesome piece of smokable art. 8)
Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. I'm still brainstorming on how I'm going to alter the shank when viewed from above so that the composition flows into the stem. I've got the top and bottom figured out, mostly. We shall see what happens! :D

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

MartinH wrote:UberHuberMan:

How are you shaping the stem? File, dremmel, disc sander, etc? I'm just curious. I finally have my latest pipe to what I think might be it's penultimate state. There are still some minor flaws to iron out, but, at any rate, what you're working on looks very, very nice.

Martin

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

MartinH wrote:UberHuberMan:

How are you shaping the stem? File, dremmel, disc sander, etc? I'm just curious. I finally have my latest pipe to what I think might be it's penultimate state. There are still some minor flaws to iron out, but, at any rate, what you're working on looks very, very nice.

Martin
Thanks for the kind words, Martin!

I'm at the point where I'm using diamond needle files to shape the stem. Very soon I'll be stepping to sand paper.

The complete list of tools:

Rasp & File
Diamond Coated Needle Files
2mm to 5mm Gimlets
Calipers
Straight Edge
Sand Paper from 60 grit to 600 grit
Coping Saw
Dremel with Dewalt Drill Bits

I look forward to seeing your finished pipe! :)

-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

MartinH wrote:I need some advice on how to use a friggin caliper. LOL! I bought an entire set, but I'm having a really difficult time understanding how to use these measuring devices to ensure symmetry between all rounded sides. Okay, okay, I pretty much sucked in shop class in High School.

:) :cry:

-Tyler Beard