Oom Paul Competition

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
cmueller

Re: Oom Paul Competition

Post by cmueller »

I am in
eric

Post by eric »

First off, thanks Sas.

I would have liked to spend a bit more time on this, but I'll be on the road for a month starting tomorrow. Anyhow, here's my entry. I tried to set the bar low for the rest of you. :)

I considered a few options, including; drilling an air hole through the side of the tenon, a short shank with an extension, and what I ended up doing - drilling through the side of the shank and covering the hole with a band.

I learned that when you drill through the side of the shank it is even weaker and that if the tenon is too oversized, the shank will break. :banghead:

I also learned that it is hard to buff when the shank and bowl are close together, so if you rusticate and shellac, you don't need to buff.

I think the shank angling in makes the stem look like it is tipped toward the bowl. From putting a square on it, I'm pretty sure the stem is mostly perpendicular, but it doesn't look like it.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Hey good job man. I really think that your drilling idea was a neat one - you got almost a dead-center airway on an Oom Paul. Too bad it cracked on you - if a guy fits that band nice and tight (and yeah that means having lots of bands on hand) before doing the stem fitting, I would guess that might alleviate the breakage/weakness issue. Maybe just a wimpy piece of briar too... that happens from time to time.

And you're right - buffing these critters is really a pain in the butt! :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
billiard

Post by billiard »

I have come pretty close to getting to 90 degrees without using some an extension of some sort...

however I have never used an extension or shank cap before so this is a good time to learn. I won't officially enter since my garage time is extremely limited but I will try to get to this within the next couple months.

Thanks for the challenge Sas.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Another ugly beast.

Here's where the drilling comes out - better than on some factory half bents, which is pretty pathetic.

SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Do Oom Pauls have to be rusticated? Does the shape let you have pretty grain?
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I've got it drawn out and think I may actually be able to do this.... But we all know about the best laid plans and all that crap! :banghead:
Pipe Maker in the Making!
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I picked out a block today for the shape I wanted to make. I then drew it out on the block and did the drilling. I got the airway and bowl drilling to meet at the bottom. I also have my cap/extension made and have the epoxy drying. I also have my stem shape picked out and have the delrin drying on it as well.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow once it dries, that way if I screw it up, I at least have some proof that I actually had a decent one started.

Actually, this is the second one, same shape and everything. I had the first done to the point this one is and was making the cap/extension when I decided to tweak the pipe a bit and shattered the shank.... So had to start all over.

I'm definately learning something from this little contest and looking forward to what everyone else comes up with.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Wasn't sure if anyone wanted to see "In Progress" pictures or not, but thought I'd post them anyway. I like to take pictures as I progress as I can look at them and see things I don't see as I'm working on the pipe.

These things are a bear too drill for someone hasn't done so before, but I took my time and it is turning out pretty well. Now if I don't screw it up while finishing it up.

As I said, I wanted to go with a bit different design to put my own spin on it.

Here is my first ever Oom Paul I've ventured to make. I call it the Rhode-Paul.

I need to cut the delrin tenon down so the stem fits flush, then finish shaping the monster. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a rusticated/smooth combo or all smooth. I guess as I progress I'll decide that point.

Anyone else have any progress to show?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You might wanna take a leetle more material off that one, Dawg. :lol:
taharris

Post by taharris »

Sasquatch wrote:You might wanna take a leetle more material off that one, Dawg. :lol:
Well I, for one, think you are off to a good start.

Don't mind Sas. He's just mad because your pipe already looks better than most of his. :lol:

Todd
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Mine is at the same stage right now, but just got stuck in exam week so no progress for me at the moment :(
andrew

Post by andrew »

smokindawg wrote:Wasn't sure if anyone wanted to see "In Progress" pictures or not, but thought I'd post them anyway. I like to take pictures as I progress as I can look at them and see things I don't see as I'm working on the pipe.

These things are a bear too drill for someone hasn't done so before, but I took my time and it is turning out pretty well. Now if I don't screw it up while finishing it up.

As I said, I wanted to go with a bit different design to put my own spin on it.

Here is my first ever Oom Paul I've ventured to make. I call it the Rhode-Paul.

I need to cut the delrin tenon down so the stem fits flush, then finish shaping the monster. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a rusticated/smooth combo or all smooth. I guess as I progress I'll decide that point.

Anyone else have any progress to show?

Well, aside from the pipe, it's good to see that you're a Coke fan :D
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

smokindawg wrote:Anyone else have any progress to show?
Not to show, but I AM working on it.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Sas, I'm glad you pointed that out. I was just about to call it good. But on looking at it I see that you would have a hard time keeping the tobacco in it the way it is. :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Just a little more bend in that stem maybe??
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Ok, I took your idea Sas and removed more from the stummel and then did a bit more bend on the stem. Here is where I am as of today. I hope tomorrow too get the rest of the shaping done and get to staining and finish sanding.

I think you can see the direction I'm heading now.

bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Wish I qualified for this one. I've been making s**ty pipes since 2008. :banghead:
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Firstly I'm just showing my progressive pictures because I like seeing them from others. I like seeing a pipe as it comes together as it gives an idea of what the maker went thru in the process.

I'm not posting for tips or ideas and appreciate that no one gave me any. Well, Sas did, but we all know better than to listen to him. :)

I've been making s**ty pipes since 2008
Don't hold back..............Just tell us what you really think about the pipes we've posted pics of here?
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

The comment I made was solely about my pipes I've made not anyone else's pipes. Especially not about the ones here. I would never make a disparaging comment about someones pipes and progress here. It was not my intent to comment on anyone else's pipe. Frankly I quite like your idea for a bulldogish version. I've never seen this variation before.
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com