Last months efforts

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RadDavis

Re: Last months efforts

Post by RadDavis »

If you want proof, Take a look at this Bo Nordh in the article by Neill Roan:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills- ... faces.html

This pipe should give hope to all aspiring pipe makers. :lol:

Rad
DMI

Post by DMI »

Oh I agree that design and composition rules can be applied to 2D and 3D objects but I don't feel that they transfer from one to another 100%. Likewise I knew that your comments were not directed at me and mine specifically.

In trying to emphasise different points of perception I was trying to make people realise that what they think is right is wrong to another person, because that person has a different upbringing and sees the world differently.

An autistic person looks at a tree on a hill and that is what they see, they don't see the beauty.

Rad, different people different likes and dislikes, and yes you do make some really ugly pipes, in fact they are so ugly you should send them to me so I can de-ugly them. Oddly enough I saw that article and wondered what Bo was thinking of when he made that one.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Will the next Bo Nordh please stand up.

Mike sit back down. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

DMI wrote:
Rad, different people different likes and dislikes,
If you keep making pipes, you will begin to see things very differently. Don't get too hung up on defending your work.

Rad
DMI

Post by DMI »

And now the Mrs is moaning because I'm spending to much time on here and not getting ready for tonights swim (1km Belfast Lough).
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

DMI wrote: Oddly enough I saw that article and wondered what Bo was thinking of when he made that one.
That's my point. He was thinking the same thing that you are now. :P

Rad
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

RadDavis wrote:If you want proof, Take a look at this Bo Nordh in the article by Neill Roan:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills- ... faces.html

This pipe should give hope to all aspiring pipe makers. :lol:

Rad
Not the greatest Bo I've seen, but in his defense, I have to say, "It looks like somebody fished it out of a burning dumpster." :lol:
Charl

Post by Charl »

I agree with Sas and Bruce. The pipes, although well-made, are too busy and don't have flow. I think most of us get to the stage where you think: Hmm! I've got this pipemaking thing! Easy-peasy! But like everything worth doing, it is a bit harder than that. Good luck David, looking forward to the next lot!
DMI

Post by DMI »

Ok I sort of let the cat out of the bag, I am Autistic but rank very low on the spectrum (1-10) hitting somewhere between 2/3, it does affect the way I see or perceive things and was the reason I belaboured the point so much.

I really do/did appreciate all the feedback on the pipes, even when it got silly there were some important points being raised, the strange thing is when I look back at the pipes I was making a couple of months ago the composition is better than those posted. It may be that I got blase and relaxed to much, I really don't know.

I've a ton of estates to process so I'm taking a week off pipe making while I fully digest what has been said.

David.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

No doubt, then, you've read Oliver Sacks. A different sense of perspective could be a gift, just taking time to learn how to apply it. Persevere. Sometimes it takes a number of pipes to hit your stride. I still cringe sometimes seeing pipes that I thought were pretty good in 2004 (and even much later!), and I made pipes from 1999 to 2004 without showing them to anyone.