The first of many critique sessions. New pipes!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Chris,

Those of us on this board who are professionals, who support our families with briar and ebonite, are here to help others develop their skills. I suspect that the following is true for my colleagues, as it is for me. When I first started out making pipes, my best and most important teachers were pipemakers. It was from them that I learned the technical and aesthetic basics of pipemaking. Even now, several years into professional pipemaking, I am still very young in this business and have a lot to learn from the masters (Toku, Jess, Lars, etc.) and from my peers. However, I'd say that at this point in the game my best and most important teachers are collectors. It is from them that I gain much knowledge about what the market wants to see from me, how they want it made, what they like in terms of finishes, embellishments, etc. There's a healthy balance in this world of tobacciana that we all must find. If you stick with this business, try to learn all you can like a sponge soaks up water, you stand a good chance of succeeding. You'll find your own balance. Keep posting pipes. Keep trying to learn. And remain open to criticism.

Best,

Jeff
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

jeff wrote:
Old Man Davis wrote:I would love to have a Jackalope for my trophy wall. Preferably one that sings "Powderfinger". I just love that song.

Rad
It's already on its way from San Diego--complete with Powderfinger sung by Dave Coulier, and an inappropriate Southern Oregon wooden appendage.
This is great news!

Todd should see a doctor.

Rad