2014 Pipe In The Hat Trade.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

Shape

Poll ended at Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Bent Pot
6%
Bent Brandy
15%
Straight Prince
39%
Bent Prince
18%
Sitter (Poker/Cherrywood)
21%

Total votes: 33

The Smoking Yeti

Re: 2014 Pipe In The Hat Trade.

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

No bing for me. Not a fan at all. Prince is a cool idea, churchwarden would be boring. Maybe have a poll- prince, pot, brandy?. I don't necessarily like stem length requirements tbh.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

i feel like kurt set up a polling option for voting in the past. Is that a possibility this year? maybe narrow it down to 5 shapes to include in the poll?
Mickeyscogin

Post by Mickeyscogin »

I really like the prince shape, it would be fun to try that out!
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

yeah, I don't like the idea of using 10inchs of rod stock that im going to trade. princes and pots are great but a 10 inch stem is a little out of hand.

i like BC's idea of Danish vs English design. its relevant
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

fuchi_jeg wrote:i feel like kurt set up a polling option for voting in the past. Is that a possibility this year? maybe narrow it down to 5 shapes to include in the poll?
this post can be editied and at the bottom of the edit page, you should be able to add a poll. Whoever created the post will have to do so, or anyone can open another thread
The Smoking Yeti

Let's first try to decide on the shapes we'd like to vote on?

I like the idea of the prince, I also think something in the pot or brandy family could be really cool. An interesting idea would be to do a "stout yet elegant" shaping brief. I think those two design elements rarely are combined well. But when they are the results are wonderful. Something to think about for sure.

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I can add a pole. Or if Micah is gonna head this thing up maybe just start a new thread if that would be easier. Not trying to force your hand, Micah. I can run this circus if need be.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

You should just add the poll seeing as we already have the thread title. I'm not a fan of adding a pole though- while I do recognize that particular art form, given the gender differences here, you'd probably sweep the competition with your... "advantage".

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

What you talkin' 'bout Cleatus?????? My days as a professional "dancer"??? :lol:

And, no, I never danced for my dinner........

What shapes?

Prince
Pot
Brandy (and bent or straight?)

After typing that I really think we should do something bent......a bent brandy would be nice.
www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

scotties22 wrote:What you talkin' 'bout Cleatus?????? My days as a professional "dancer"??? :lol:

And, no, I never danced for my dinner........

What shapes?

Prince
Pot
Brandy (and bent or straight?)

After typing that I really think we should do something bent......a bent brandy would be nice.
bent brandy, bent pot, straight or bent prince, I think those are our best options. Any other suggestions?

Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

poker/sitter/cherrywood? there are alot of options in that range and i think that we could come up with some interesting shapes. The only thing i would suggest is that all pipes sit unaided.
taharris

Post by taharris »

fuchi_jeg wrote:poker/sitter/cherrywood? there are alot of options in that range and i think that we could come up with some interesting shapes. The only thing i would suggest is that all pipes sit unaided.
Sitters would be really cool, but I have a hell of a time getting my pipes to sit right.

If we do this I would love to see a thread about to get your pipe to sit.
(That is if any of the pros would be willing to share some of their secrets. :D )

Todd
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I put the poll up. If I need to add a shape just let me know but, I think what's there gives us some pretty good choices. It will run for 7 days....I think that's what I put.
www.ladybriar.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

scotties22 wrote:I can add a pole.
scotties22 wrote:I put the poll up.
I'm glad we got that cleared up.....
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Let's first try to decide on the shapes we'd like to vote on?

I like the idea of the prince, I also think something in the pot or brandy family could be really cool. An interesting idea would be to do a "stout yet elegant" shaping brief. I think those two design elements rarely are combined well. But when they are the results are wonderful. Something to think about for sure.
I really like this "stout yet elegant" idea. I think of Grechukhin and other Russian carvers. I think that would be a good idea rather than a shape in particular.

FWIW,

Evan
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Not sure if I'll be able to participate this time around, but I don't see many prince shapes here. I'd like to see what you people would come up with.
- Steve S.
Nate

Post by Nate »

In my IAWR humble opinion, I think the prince shape would be an excellent one. Believe me, this is a deceptively complex shape to execute and execute it correctly. Add a bent prince and you up the ante. Either would be fine and I think would help us all in our ability. Let's face it, I think we've all made a billiard at some point and we talk billiards to death. Let's pause from the billiard and try another really nice traditional shape. I think I may even participate!
The Smoking Yeti

Nate wrote:I think the prince shape would be an excellent one. Believe me, this is a deceptively complex shape to execute and execute it correctly. Add a bent prince and you up the ante. I think I may even participate!

If Nate is participating, I definitely am. the bent prince really is starting to sound like a fun challenge :D

Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:
Nate wrote:I think the prince shape would be an excellent one. Believe me, this is a deceptively complex shape to execute and execute it correctly. Add a bent prince and you up the ante. I think I may even participate!

If Nate is participating, I definitely am. the bent prince really is starting to sound like a fun challenge :D
I see how it is...none of the rest of us good enough for you, eh? :twisted:
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I'm in.

Not sure if I quite get what a bent prince is? A prince can be straight or just slightly bent on the stem and overall design from what I have seen in the English Classics.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies