Ordered my "dream lathe" EDIT: photos added

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
oklahoma red

Re: Ordered my "dream lathe"

Post by oklahoma red »

I don't see how the Chinese Machine Tools business model works---you'd think it would collapse over time as the word spread about what you're (usually) in for after getting one---but it just keeps expanding
I can tell you exactly how their business model works. They hit you with prices so low they cannot be ignored. In the process, virtually all competition is eliminated by driving it out of business. By the time everyone wakes up it is too late. Who ya gonna call? There's nobody left. Do you have a few hundred million laying around to start up a new machine tool business?
The only good side is that the day will come (we hope) when the Commies will have to bow to international pressure and start embracing ISO quality standards. There are some Taiwanese plants that are ISO certified but they are few.
Then there is our wonderful government's double standard. They squawl and bawl about Cuba (commie, human rights issues etc) DUH! Cuba pales in comparison to the Chi-Coms.
I shall now step down off my soap box.
Chas.
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

LatakiaLover wrote: I don't see how the Chinese Machine Tools business model works---you'd think it would collapse over time as the word spread about what you're (usually) in for after getting one---but it just keeps expanding.
It works because in today's society there are too many people are used to the throw away society. When something breaks, it is easier and usually cheaper to buy new than fix it. Even our vehicles, yes we fix them, but instead of really fixing, they just replace the broken part at inflated prices. I a lot of some cases, the vehicle owners just trade it off rather than go through the replacement of the part.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Here it is, in all its 1000lb glory.

Behind it you can see about where it will go.

Tyler Lane Pipe World HQ is getting messier before it gets better... much better!

AND...here's a little shipping ding.

The Smoking Yeti

Re: Ordered my "dream lathe" EDIT: photos added

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Dude, how big is that space? It looks like with a bit of work it'll be AWESOME!

The lathe looks nice too- dings n' all.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Messier my rear end ...the shop is coming along nicely

James
Charl

Post by Charl »

There's nothing better than playing with a new toy! Enjoy
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

For the purpose of our job, a well-made German or Austrian machine for 15K is absolutelly a silly cost.

None of us require a 0.00000 dial indicator or anything near it.
Of course if I can pay 500 more euros I will prefer Warco or Optimum from an Alfa lathe.

And if you want more, let's be honest, even sandpapering on our lathe (without dust extractor or something to protect the ways) ruins its ways, cause everytime that the toolpost slip over the abrasive dust scratch them.

And if someone buy an second hand lathe the ONLY way to ensure absolute 0.0000 is high cost resurfacing.

We're not making spaceships.... 8)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Dude, how big is that space? It looks like with a bit of work it'll be AWESOME!

It's a one-car garage. 12'x24', I think. It's just right! I'm even going to sneak some furniture in there for buddies to come hang out in.
the rev

Post by the rev »

Tyler wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:Dude, how big is that space? It looks like with a bit of work it'll be AWESOME!

It's a one-car garage. 12'x24', I think. It's just right! I'm even going to sneak some furniture in there for buddies to come hang out in.
In long beach that would be a two bedroom apartment

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

archaggelosmichail wrote:For the purpose of our job, a well-made German or Austrian machine for 15K is absolutelly a silly cost.

None of us require a 0.00000 dial indicator or anything near it.
Of course if I can pay 500 more euros I will prefer Warco or Optimum from an Alfa lathe.

And if you want more, let's be honest, even sandpapering on our lathe (without dust extractor or something to protect the ways) ruins its ways, cause everytime that the toolpost slip over the abrasive dust scratch them.

And if someone buy an second hand lathe the ONLY way to ensure absolute 0.0000 is high cost resurfacing.

We're not making spaceships.... 8)
Precision is just one attribute of English, Austrian, pre-80's American, etc. machine tools. Durability, reliability, ease of use, ease of adjustment, repeatability, flexibility, and so forth are part of the package. (a.k.a. aluminum is not your friend)

As for holding a hundred-thousandnth of an inch, I don't think even real spaceship-builders have lathes that will do that. :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Tyler wrote:

I'll be your buddy!!! Now I need a mode of transit...
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Tyler wrote: It's not $3K versus $8K, that was $8K MORE. So $3K versus $11K. Actually, that's a conservative estimate. For example, South Bend, which is actually a Taiwanese lathe, doesn't make a 12, but their 13" is $15K.
An additional $3K makes the argument stronger, to be sure. The Taiwanese gear is actually pretty good from what I've heard, and shouldn't be considered "Chinese" for machine tool purposes, btw. (Oklahoma Red? You there?)
I totally understand why this market is expanding. It's a cash flow thing. Not many people can get to $11K, period. $3K is in reach. My 1000lb lathe will offer lots of advantages for $3K that I couldn't get for $3K from South Bend, and I'm not unique in that situation. A little patience and maybe some sweat equity, and I'm into something I otherwise couldn't afford. Besides, it's a hobby for me. If we factored labor and opportunity costs into our hobbies we'd have trouble sleeping at night if money was how we measured these things.
It boils down to purchasing such machines with both cash and labor, I guess. Kind of like buying one of those finish-it-yourself houses that's framed, roofed, plumbed, and wired, but otherwise bare inside.

What changed my mind about "bringing a machine up to spec" being the way to go was the underlying metal itself, along with bearings & related. I had a friend in North Dakota who owned and ran a large machine and welding shop who told me the worst part of fixing/working on Asian-made farm equipment (like Mahindra) wasn't the slack tolerances, but the rate of wear. That adjustments and fixes didn't stay that way for long because soft, easily-workable alloys were used throughout.

It's true that making pipes as a sideline is an entirely different thing than commercial farming when it comes to load, stress, and wear-and-tear, but his words (and supporting examples---he'd pull me into the shop halfway through most of these discussions), definitely had an effect on what I bought from then on.

Anyway, the best of luck with your new thousand-pound baby. Your wife won't let you keep it in your bedroom, you know.

Oh yeah: pics or it didn't happen.

I've bought two of these 12x36 machines (four total from Precision Matthews) and they all arrived in perfect condition. Also, this machine is made in Asia, but in a German (Knuth) factory with the oversight of German engineers. I've been using one for over a decade with nothing but lightbulbs to replace. All the electronics are Siemens, and this machine is simply the best value on the market for what we do. You can have your Butterbrodt, South Bend, and Schaublin for all I care. We're not making parts for the aerospace industry, and one doesn't need fine-furniture joinery when building stud-walls. That said, I will make a call to Matt on your behalf, Tyler, and I will wager that things will be right inside of a week. Sorry for the shipping woes.

TJ
sethile

Post by sethile »

The shop is looking great! I think you're going to love this lathe, Tyler! I'm super happy with mine! Sorry to hear about the damage, but I'm sure Matt will put it to right in short order.

I did not realize these had a German pedigree, but that makes sense... It's certainly much nicer than any other Chinese machine I've used. I've found a few things to improve, but the bones of this thing seem very solid to me.

I'm drawn to the older American and European lathes too, but I wanted to make pipes, not restore a lathe, and after a year or two of looking there was nothing for sale within striking distance of me that looked like an interesting prospect. I'm very glad I pulled the trigger on the PM1236 a couple of years ago...
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sucks about the shipping damage, but the shop is looking great!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sorry for the distress Tyler, but damn that is a sahweet lathe!!! I'll trade you for an 11x27VF!! :twisted:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Oh, and I see you went with the DRO. Wise. You will not be disappointed.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Nate wrote:Oh, and I see you went with the DRO. Wise. You will not be disappointed.
Driftwood Routing Option?

Drafthole Radar Optics?

Dust Removal Optimizer?

Diabolical Recovery Obliterator?

:?:

Lathes are mysterious and scary. (The only thing you need to know about a drill press is it goes up and down with a handle-thingie.)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Massis

Post by Massis »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Nate wrote:Oh, and I see you went with the DRO. Wise. You will not be disappointed.

Drafthole Radar Optics?

Dust Removal Optimizer?

Lathes are mysterious and scary. (The only thing you need to know about a drill press is it goes up and down with a handle-thingie.)

pssst: Digital Readout I believe ;-)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Massis wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:

Drafthole Radar Optics?

Dust Removal Optimizer?

pssst: Digital Readout I believe ;-)
Yes, Digital Read-Out. It measures (in inches or millimeters) the movement of the apron (tool carriage) on both the X and Z axes. Mill DROs have a Y axis as well for the vertical movement. Some lathe DROs denote it as X and Y instead of X and Z.

Massis

Post by Massis »

Did that DRO just call me a faggot? :fencing: