Briar showed up...and 5 hours later...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
taharris

Re: Briar showed up...and 5 hours later...

Post by taharris »

Newcarver,

There is one other benefit to making standard shapes that has not been discussed.

There is a certain perception in the pipe smoking world about what looks best and how a pipe should be designed.

As others have pointed out, they were very proud of their first pipes, but when the look at them now they see that those pipes had a lot of design flaws.

My point here is that focusing on standard shapes and posting your pictures for critique gives you the opportunity to closely review those comments and begin to "calibrate" your eye. Once you are able to look at a pipe and say "the shank is too narrow" or "the stem should be bent more" you know that you are starting down the path to understanding what the "standard" is for a particular shape.

Then, once you have a calibrated eye you will find that the unconventional shaped pipes you make will be improved as your sense of proportion improves.

Todd
Archer

Re: Briar showed up...and 5 hours later...

Post by Archer »

Good point!

I tend to notice SOME of those things now when I surf the net looking at others pipe carvings...I truly hope this means I have a "developing" eye...

Also, looking at pictures all day does not convey the right sense of proportion. I have to "feel" them as well to get the idea, so I am always holding pipes at the Tobacco shop...the guys there think Im nuts...