Natural Talent

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

I don't know why you guys are being so critical about my pipes. I have to say it hurts a little... it hurts. :cry:
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
RadDavis

Re: Natural Talent

Post by RadDavis »

ToddJohnson wrote: Rad,

I've got a permit for the truck, and I never run over more than the legal limit. I also never aim for breeding females and I only run over them in daylight. It's not like I'm going around at night spotlighting them with halogens from the truck-bed and then running them down. That puts me well within Tennessee's possum hunting statutes. I also never kill more than me and my kinfolk can eat. It's not like I'm just going after trophy-possums. What kind of person do you take me for anyway?

Todd
Todd,

I apologise. I have apparently misjudged you.

I'm glad to know that you have obtained all of the proper permits for hunting possums with your truck.

People bitch all the time about these fees, but few of them realize that nearly 100% of that money goes toward keeping the possum populations viable and healthy, so that we can later run them over with our trucks.

Rad
android

Post by android »

that dude's my hero.
Christopher Brunton

Post by Christopher Brunton »

My oh my,

All I have to say is I wish my pipes were:
assembled & machined in my shop using 66% new parts
Here I am working with all new materials like a sucker.

The 2 joints are tight & flush and are approx. 99% of perfect!
Someday I, too, hope to make a JOINTURE that is approx. 99% of perfect.

And finally....(I have no comment);
POST-NOTES... This pipe is HandCrafted by me personally & is less than factory perfect...yet is functional & draws exceptionally well. It is certainly a UNIQUE-ONE-OF-A-KIND-ORIGINAL as well as a guaranteed attention getter in your pipe collection.
O.k, one comment- He guarantees the attention getting, not the pipe.

Thanks for the yuks Rad,
-Chris

p.s. This is one Helluva logo....

jeff

Post by jeff »

Especially the initials, "B.S."

Wow.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Crazy Stick Man has made a pipe with a bamboo shank!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0091170266

He harvested the bamboo himself from the wilds of the Virginia woods. He harvested the pipe from New Old Stock.

I'd be interested in seeing how he rigged the internals in that hollow "one knuckle" bamboo stalk. :lol:

It's unsmoked and signed.

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very interesting work there, Rad. Are you selling your stuff under an alias now? heehee! :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

RadDavis wrote:Crazy Stick Man has made a pipe with a bamboo shank!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0091170266

He harvested the bamboo himself from the wilds of the Virginia woods. He harvested the pipe from New Old Stock.

I'd be interested in seeing how he rigged the internals in that hollow "one knuckle" bamboo stalk. :lol:

It's unsmoked and signed.

Rad
Obviously the bowl is from a cheap basket pipe (notice the very visible fills).
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Dunno what to say except maybe :nuts: :jawdrop:
At least now I know that I'm not at the bottom of the food.......eh......pipechain.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Note the expression New Old Stock... it must be similar to Big Small Pipes or Red White Wine...

Then again in the comment somebody states the bamboo work is a piece of art...art! Did you see the joints? 1-2 mm gap :) art...

This guy is IMHO either mentally impaired (then sorry for my funnytalk) or one hell of a bastard that explores the outer rims of human stupidity (or lack of knowledge).

I don't know... I feel bad but not about me but about him. That's the "dark side" of America that there's no real check of products, whether they are rubbish or quality material. The bright side of the same thing are the custom made cars... you can't change the loook and construction of a car in EU that massively, no way :)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

tritrek wrote:Note the expression New Old Stock... it must be similar to Big Small Pipes or Red White Wine...
The term "New Old Stock", or NOS, is an American English colloquialism denoting that an item may be old, but has never been used, was still in factory packaging, and may have been found in the back storage room of a dealer or retailer.

The main place you'll find this term used is in the business of car and motorcycle restoration where original and unused parts are wanted to maintain authenticity. You can also find NOS valves for use in "tube amps" that folks build for the custom market - even though valves are currently produced by a couple of notable companies.
I don't know... I feel bad but not about me but about him. That's the "dark side" of America that there's no real check of products, whether they are rubbish or quality material. The bright side of the same thing are the custom made cars... you can't change the loook and construction of a car in EU that massively, no way :)
That's a bit of an over-generalization. A national manufacturer wouldn't be able to produce such a product, but one guy selling things on ebay could certainly get away with it. The problem is not wether there are "checks" in place, but what people are willing to, or want to, buy. I think you'll find the same level of quality from people everywhere that develop their product in a vacuum with no real guidance on craftsmanship and attention to detail, even in the EU.

And I do notice he has a gen-you-wine Stradivarius violin - made in Germany no less. :roll:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0026348429
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

The term "New Old Stock", or NOS, is an American English colloquialism denoting that an item may be old, but has never been used, was still in factory packaging, and may have been found in the back storage room of a dealer or retailer.
I know, I know... it just sounds stupid and after reading he uses 66% new parts it sounded explicitly silly :)
That's a bit of an over-generalization.
That's my style :) Sorry, no offense there. I just wanted to point out that while some people exploit it to be able to create even better stuff and higher quality work others do the opposite.

And yes, his spelling is marvellous... 8)
FredS

Post by FredS »

tritrek wrote:. . .That's the "dark side" of America that there's no real check of products, whether they are rubbish or quality material.
There most certainly are checks of product quality, but luckily most of that is done by the market (the people who spend their own money to buy products) and not a centralized government body.

There's nobody in America who says an orange must be at least 8cm in diameter before it can be called an orange. If you want to grow and sell 6cm oranges you're free to set up a stand next to your driveway and do so. If your oranges are good, people will buy them. If they're not, they won't. Simple as that.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Frank

Post by Frank »

tritrek, that's where the expression "Caveat emptor" comes in.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

true