Classic English Style Straight Bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RadDavis

Re: Classic English Style Straight Bulldog

Post by RadDavis »

Sasquatch wrote:
Tyler wrote:Meh.

There's tool marks on the stem face.
My thoughts exactly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I was gonna pick at this pipe from a classical shaping point of view, I'd knock it for two very minor things. First, the top ring being as it were "part" of the top of the pipe bugs me visually. Second, I'd suggest that the shank is a tiny bit long in proportion to the bowl and in proportion to the overall pipe, particularly if you look at the "ordinary" proportions of stem length being roughly equal to 1/2 the entire pipe.

But those are I think personal preferences maybe more than some established guideline.... I dunno.

Anyway, you did a very nice job on keeping the diamond centered on the mortise, and anyone who has done a bully like this knows that's ANYTHING but a given. Great pipe.

PS out of curiosity, why would you bevel the tenon end so significantly on a straight pipe? I thought the theory on that was to leave things as smooth internally as possible?
Maybe you should have made these comments and critiques three years ago when I started this thread. They're of no help now. :lol: :lol:

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Arrrgh we've been threadomanced.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Muahaha!! My threadsurrection paid off! I was actually searching for techniques on how sharp, raised lines are made (as in the pipe below) and found Rad's bulldog, and a nice one at that. Didn't find anything on the lines though. :?

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Those are done "hot" Nate. Take a heat gun and warm up the briar once you've got it drilled and mostly shaped. Then you sort of push and mould those lines into place while the briar is still warm and pliable. Once it cools down you can't really do it unless you're very strong, but then there's a risk of breakage.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Sasquatch wrote:Those are done "hot" Nate. Take a heat gun and warm up the briar once you've got it drilled and mostly shaped. Then you sort of push and mould those lines into place while the briar is still warm and pliable. Once it cools down you can't really do it unless you're very strong, but then there's a risk of breakage.
I had thought the art of 'working hot' was lost; good to see some people renewing the tradition.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:Those are done "hot" Nate. Take a heat gun and warm up the briar once you've got it drilled and mostly shaped. Then you sort of push and mould those lines into place while the briar is still warm and pliable. Once it cools down you can't really do it unless you're very strong, but then there's a risk of breakage.
I see. In thinking about it, all the action (well, the effective action) must be in the wrists. I'm sure the thumb use is crucial also.

I will use some junk blocks first, as in most 'old art' practice makes perfect. So a heat gun is the best method? How about an oven?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The oven would work, but of course if you use the heat gun you can have the block spinning on the lathe while you heat it up and if you're careful, you can work it just like a potter's wheel.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Someone is going to google how to make the rings on a bulldog and this will show up, they will then be sat in front of their lathe with a heat gun and a mangled burnt block of briar wondering what went wrong lol.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I sure hope so. :twisted:
Walle

Post by Walle »

Perfect, Rad.

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

nice Rad... the tenon is different, but that adds to it for me.. nicely done

james
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Sasquatch wrote:
PS out of curiosity, why would you bevel the tenon end so significantly on a straight pipe?
'Cause that's how I roll, motherfucker.

Rad
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Rad, this is an impressive first pipe. You should consider looking into this as a professional pursuit!

I would be glad to offer you lessons. Email me and we can make arrangements.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

SimeonTurner wrote:Rad, this is an impressive first pipe. You should consider looking into this as a professional pursuit!

I would be glad to offer you lessons. Email me and we can make arrangements.
Thanks, Simian!

I may take you up on that.

Rad
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

RadDavis wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
PS out of curiosity, why would you bevel the tenon end so significantly on a straight pipe?
'Cause that's how I roll, motherfucker.

Rad
Well that's cool. It's just that I was trying to explain to one of our mutual clients why my pipes smoke so much better than yours, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now I know. :thumbsup: