PITH 2015

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

Pipe shape PITH 2015

Poll ended at Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:18 am

Billiard
4%
Churchwarden
No votes
Bulldog
15%
Author
11%
Sitter (Not a poker)
11%
Bamboo shank sitter (Not a poker)
59%

Total votes: 27

fiddlestix

Re: PITH 2015

Post by fiddlestix »

seamonster wrote:Thanks Premal!
Do you think the stem needs more bend? I did several drawings with different bends, and this looked the best. It seems swan-like.
Good lookin' pipe! IAWP that the stem needs more bend, but if it were me I wouldn't bend it too much more. I wouldn't follow the typical "parallel to the rim" rule of thumb with this pipe like you have it in the drawing. A little shy of that will look great, IMO. I personally like stems slightly under bent.
2combs

Post by 2combs »

I agree^^
Tu Combs
RHOX Pipes
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

fiddlestix wrote:
Do you think the stem needs more bend? I did several drawings with different bends, and this looked the best. It seems swan-like.
Good lookin' pipe! IAWP that the stem needs more bend, but if it were me I wouldn't bend it too much more. I wouldn't follow the typical "parallel to the rim" rule of thumb with this pipe like you have it in the drawing. A little shy of that will look great, IMO. I personally like stems slightly under bent.
Thanks! I was hoping to get more feedback on the stem... I looked at it all night, and couldn't decide.... I'm going to try bending it more, and if I don't like it, I can put it back....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

fiddlestix wrote:
Okay, put a little more bend on it.
Actually, I put a LOT MORE bend on it, then backed it off some....
I think I agree with Mark (ITIAWM) slightly under bent, but more bent than I had it looks best.... what do you think?
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
impish1

Post by impish1 »

I am feeling the crunch of the deadline. I should be ok but this is a much taller order than I thought it would be! I'm still learning how to make pipes and now I have bamboo in my hands...seamonster is giving me guidance, thank God! I also will be out of the country from July 30-August 9 so I will need to mail my pipe after I return. What do you all think of that?
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

impish1 wrote: I also will be out of the country from July 30-August 9 so I will need to mail my pipe after I return. What do you all think of that?
I have no issue with that. Thanks for the heads up. Just keep in touch so that when the deadline comes, everyone's properly accounted for.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

seamonster wrote:
fiddlestix wrote:
Okay, put a little more bend on it.
Actually, I put a LOT MORE bend on it, then backed it off some....
I think I agree with Mark (ITIAWM) slightly under bent, but more bent than I had it looks best.... what do you think?

It is better, but I think a little hook at the bite would be even better.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

With great regret I going to have to bow out of this year's trade. I'm in the process of retiring and trying to unload my business and it has consumed my time. I got started but my lack of experience with bamboo has sunk me. Maybe next time. My apologies.
mightysmurf8201

How's everyone else looking as far as being able to finish on time? Like I said before, I'm flexible with the deadline, within reason of course.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
finster

Post by finster »

I'm on target for the 31st. Considering putting up a countdown clock and having wax and polishing cloth in hand to drop when it hits all zeros, top chef style :D .
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

I'll be done on time.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

I'll be able to push and get done on time but wouldn't be opposed to extending the deadline by a week.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to back out... I really hate to, but things have been super hectic lately and I don't foresee much chance of having my pipe ready anywhere close to the deadline.
mightysmurf8201

After receiving some input from several members, I've decided to extend the deadline by a week. The new deadline will be midnight Friday, August 7, EST. Once I verify who is complete, I will publish the list sometime on Saturday. I hope this takes the pressure off for some people. Good luck everyone!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
impish1

Post by impish1 »

I should be in good shape to make the deadline but another week will allow me to mail mine on time since I return from being out of the country late on the 8th. This project has run the gamut of emotions. Hopefully by the end it will be one of satisfaction. looking forward to seeing what everyone came up with!
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I will have to withdraw from the trade. I am not even close to finished with the pipe, and I will be out of town for the next week. When I get back I will have to make 24 pipes to pay the bills for August. I apologize for giving late notice.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
paulieg

Post by paulieg »

LatakiaLover wrote:Image
Literally made me LOL!
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

I don't think it'd be too late to enter if you fancy making up the numbers George!? ;)
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Emmanuel,

It may be wise to contact each of the remaining participants that have not posted completed pipes to find out if they are still in or not.

I will have my pipe complete before the deadline.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies