Sitter Cutty Shaping

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
baiguai

Sitter Cutty Shaping

Post by baiguai »

I've decided to start posting all my pieces, even if they are embarrassing. The intense critique and feedback will help me improve. Thanks in advance!

Before I get much further, I wanted to post what I've done so far so I can implement corrections etc. Sorry about the horrible lighting in these pics - I need to make myself a light box etc.

There's a lot of flaws in this block - not sure if these are show-stoppers - or if I'll just want to give it a rusticated finish

The stem is prefab and I haven't done anything to it yet so I don't have any pics properly showcasing the stem really

More pics of the foot

There's a small gap in the stem/shank I need to deal with
mightysmurf8201

Re: Sitter Cutty Shaping

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

If you do an image search online for cutty, you'll notice one commonality. They tend to be slim. Right now this pipe is chunky. One problem that many people have difficulty overcoming is getting comfortable with removing enough material for fear that the piece will be ruined, after all, you can't put material back after a cut. It's something I still struggle with as well, but I'm working on it. Other than that, I would say start the taper on your stem at the shank/stem junction instead of farther down the stem. Not doing so makes it scream "factory stem". This also requires you to develop a certain comfort, again, as there is sometimes an initial fear that you might overcut and ruin the junction. As soon as you take the leap and try making cuts you've never made before, you'll see how easy it can be and how much better the result is, and it's like someone turned the lights on. Don't be afraid to push yourself.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

Thanks so much! - I hadn't thought of moving the stem taper back. The pipe is chunky and actually my fear on this one is - I love the way it sits currently and will probably lose that when I remove more meat - although if I do so on the stem too, maybe not. I'll keep filing. Thanks again!
socrates

Post by socrates »

Interesting!
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

baiguai wrote:I love the way it sits currently and will probably lose that when I remove more meat
To avoid this in the future, be sure to remove enough material BEFORE you start shaping. For us newer guys, it's easy to start shaping and then fall in love with what it's becoming because in our eyes, it's measureable progress. Go to any online pipe retailer or established pipe maker's website, find the dimensions they use for a standard shape, make a template to match, use the template(and keep it for future use) to draw the outline on the side of your block, and cut away all the excess leaving only 1/8" extra to work with on all sides, and whatever more material you need to chuck up the block. This will force your dimensions to stay within ordinary standards.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/