What lighters or styles do you prefer?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
SmokeyBert

What lighters or styles do you prefer?

Post by SmokeyBert »

Has there been a thread on this? I haven't found one yet.

I'm curious what type of lighter people on here prefer, any why behind it would be great too.

I'm curious to see any links or info on what people out there are using especially anything unique or unusual.
sandahlpipe

Re: What lighters or styles do you prefer?

Post by sandahlpipe »

I use a bic lighter or matches in my shop, whatever is closer to me when I need to relight.

When I sit down to smoke, I use a Xikar pipe lighter that I've had for 2 years. It works well and has survived several drops. One day, I'm going to get an Old Boy, but that may be a while.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

sandahlpipe wrote:I use a bic lighter or matches in my shop, whatever is closer to me when I need to relight.

When I sit down to smoke, I use a Xikar pipe lighter that I've had for 2 years. It works well and has survived several drops. One day, I'm going to get an Old Boy, but that may be a while.
Do you use a candle flame or jet flame style? I get so irritated being outside and having a flame get blown out, it's always windy up here in the North! I've been considering getting a jet flame style lighter but I wonder how much hotter they burn and how many people would advise not to use them.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Soft flame for a pipe, You get what you pay for. I have friends that never left matches. I use matches or a Corona Old Boy.Made well and lasts. Most pipe lighters are crap! imho!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

SmokeyBert wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:I use a bic lighter or matches in my shop, whatever is closer to me when I need to relight.

Do you use a candle flame or jet flame style? I get so irritated being outside and having a flame get blown out, it's always windy up here in the North! I've been considering getting a jet flame style lighter but I wonder how much hotter they burn and how many people would advise not to use them.
I wouldn't use a jet flame style on a pipe. If you must, hide behind a tree or wind shelter while you light, but don't torch the baccy. I do most of my smoking indoors where wind isn't an issue.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I actually have a small collection of nice pipe lighters that I'm quite proud of :wink: I have a Dupont Gatsby, a Dunhill Rollagas, a Maruman GL-67, a Corona Old Boy and a couple of Zippos. From my experience the Corona is by far the shittiest. It's the only one I bought brand new and as of today it's sitting in a drawer needing maintenance, at one point it just became almost impossible to strike a flame. I'll send it out to get it fixed, but I think the quality isn't really super high- a lot of the parts are quite delicate and it seems they get broken quite often.
I hope to buy more nice lighters in the future, I consider them to be just as fascinating as fountain pens and watches. A tool that gives you fire is to be respected ;)
Anyway I would never buy a jet flame lighter for pipe smoking. It will char the wood in no time and re-lighting the bottom half of the bowl (as I often do when smoking carelessly while working) would be very dangerous for the pipe. If you need a lighter that works well outdoors then you should buy a Zippo. The pipe version is a bit more comfortable but the standard one works just as well. Quality lighter fluid gives a pretty much odorless flame, so no worries there.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You should tell them about your old boy and get them to fix it. I've had mine for a very long time, proving once again that pipe lighters are a crap shoot. They are, as you said , something to be proud of, or crap. Sorry that your Corona old boy doesn't work as well as mine. We do need fire!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I prefer Old Boys. I have a Sillem's that I paid too much for that I have to take apart and do maintenance on too much for as much as I paid for it. I have a low end Old Boy that I've never had trouble with.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

I use a Bic, quick, cheap, reliable and for the most part I don't have to worry about loosing it or damaging it.
rdpipes.briar.club
andrew

Post by andrew »

I have been using a Kiribi since May. Best lighter I've had yet. Soft flame butane. Pretty much mimics old boy style lighter, but has a really large fuel reservoir.

andrew
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Torch (jet) lighter. I buy them cheap from China as I don't find they last all that long anyway as I tend to abuse them in the workshop as mini blowtorches. Work great outdoors and indoors and as I do most of my smoking while out walking it really helps.
DaninDayton

Post by DaninDayton »

I've been using the Vertigo "Governor" for about a 2 years now. I've been surprised that the quartz ignition has worked as long as it has. I've not been lucky with the quartz method of lighting before but these have been flawless. The tank is quite adequate for a pipe lighter.

A Zippo with a pipe insert is my outside pipe lighter.

danindayton
ilurkalot
DaninDayton
ilurkalot
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

I love the brand names mentioned on here! I am a lighter fan, something causes me to obsess a little bit about cool mechanical devices that also happen to cause fire..
Dnemets

Post by Dnemets »

I use a pipe Zippo, or barring that, a Bic. I find matches to be cumbersome, and only use them if I happen to be somewhere and there's a box laying on the table.