Pipe #16

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Oleg.Koval

Pipe #16

Post by Oleg.Koval »

I don't know what the "type" of this pipe is. :)
Maybe "pot"?

Weight – 64 grams
Chamber – 21mm x 35mm
Height – 43mm
Length – 143mm
* used metric system

My pipemaking way
http://pipes.olegkoval.com
JMG

Re: Pipe #16

Post by JMG »

The stem feels about 1/2" too long to me and I think it could use more taper. It feels just a bit fat. I think, also, that the bowl feels just a bit large in diameter for the size of the shank...not much, just a touch. That's a very pretty piece of briar.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Oleg.Koval

Post by Oleg.Koval »

Thank you JMG.

1) maybe you right and a stem is to longer. In this pipe the length of stem is equal to length of shank + distance between shank and center of chamber.
2) about the bowl size (I think it's related to the shank): the idea was to create a oval shank and if you look at pipe profile then looks like shank is bit "thiner" for this bowl, but when you look from the top or bottom of the pipe then stem is wide (shank like in canadian pipe). But looks like the photos, taken by me, do not show this.

Sorry for poor english.
My pipemaking way
http://pipes.olegkoval.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Yeah, after looking at the pics again it does look pretty good from the top view. I didn't realize this was an oval shank.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad