First Pipe Question

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
PastorPipe

First Pipe Question

Post by PastorPipe »

O.K., So I finally got my first block to carve. It is a kit (Thanks Kurt) and so it has been drilled and fitted with a stem. I know the shape that I would like to make, but I am a little stumped on how to start. How do you decide on the dimensions and then draw a pattern on the block? This may seem trivial, but the idea of drawing anything on something is a little bit daunting to me. I might as well use my feet rather than my hands. Please advise.

-Matt-
"A pipe...it is a great soother, a pleasant comforter! Blue devils fly before its honest breath! It ripens the brain--it opens the heart; and the man who smokes, thinks like a sage and acts like a Samaritan!"
magruder

Post by magruder »

Check this out: http://www.heeschen-pipes.dk/us/workshop.htm

Also, search pipe maker' web sites. Often in a workshop section there is scads of useful info and photos.
Pipe makers are very open about their craft, as a rule.
Much good luck.
magruder

Post by magruder »

I see you are in Jeffs' (J.Alan pipes) neighborhood.

Seek him out.
He's a great guy and makes very nice pipes. :thumb:
Paul_Tatum

Post by Paul_Tatum »

Try drawing on paper first. It's a good thing to do while smoking in the easy chair. Trace out the rough dimensions of the block on paper and draw a pipe inside it. Go through as many drawings as you need to. Once you have something you like cut it out and trace it to the block. Keep any templates you draw that you like for future reference. I keep mine in a photo album. The celophane sleeved pages are great for sliding in cut out templates and notes.

Also, if you have trouble (like me) drawing anything decent, buy yourself a little french curve at the hobby/art store and play around with different combinations of curves. A compass and protractor come in handy also, especially when dealing with center lines and radii.

Paul
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I'm going to dedicate another post to this because it seemed very useful to me.

While in Chicago someone gave me a great idea (crazy Adam). He has taken large pieces of styrofoam and cuts them to the dimension of his block. Then he draws and tries to create the shape he had in mind in the styrofoam to see if it would work on the block. For those worried about wasting a block (me) it will be a good tool. No precision engineering can be done on the styrofoam but lines should be good enough to measure that.

Maybe that'd help you on where to start.
JohnCongleton

Post by JohnCongleton »

bscofield wrote:He has taken large pieces of styrofoam and cuts them to the dimension of his block. Then he draws and tries to create the shape he had in mind in the styrofoam to see if it would work on the block.
But won't that smoke pretty hot? :P
JMB

Post by JMB »

JohnCongleton wrote: "But won't that smoke pretty hot?"

Depends on what tobacco you smoke. :dunno:

Is a good idea. Will give it a try. Thanks bscofield
marks

Post by marks »

I'll sand the sides of the block to reveal the grain, then take a pencil and draw the shape directly on the block. If I goof, then I erase it and start over. Those bars you use to clean sanding belts make good erasers.

Although, that styrofoam idea sounds interesting.....
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: First Pipe Question

Post by KurtHuhn »

PastorPipe wrote:O.K., So I finally got my first block to carve. It is a kit (Thanks Kurt) and so it has been drilled and fitted with a stem. I know the shape that I would like to make, but I am a little stumped on how to start. How do you decide on the dimensions and then draw a pattern on the block? This may seem trivial, but the idea of drawing anything on something is a little bit daunting to me. I might as well use my feet rather than my hands.
I think I left some construction lines on that block - just rough guides to help me keep things on track while drilling. You can use these to get an approximate idea of where the various holes go.

edit: Those lines aren't exact. You'll want to take a pencil or something and stick it in the tobacco chamber to see how deep it actually goes, and mark that depth on the block.

What I usually do is mark the bottom and sides of the tobacco chamber (it's 3/4" diameter on that block) on the block and then consider the lines of the outside of the pipe from there. Also, draw a circle on top of the block concentric with the tobacco chamber (assuming billiard or similar) to help keep yourself on track with symmetry.

As for drawing the pipe, I rough out the maximum extants of the pipe I want to make, then refine the lines a little. I tend to draw things a little bigger than I want the final pipe to be, that way I can revise and fine tune things along the way if I encounter a flaw or the shape doesn't look as good in 3 physical dimensions as it did in 3 virtual dimensions.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
PastorPipe

Post by PastorPipe »

Thanks Kurt, that was really helpful. I had noticed the lines, but wasn't sure what to do with them. :thumb:
"A pipe...it is a great soother, a pleasant comforter! Blue devils fly before its honest breath! It ripens the brain--it opens the heart; and the man who smokes, thinks like a sage and acts like a Samaritan!"