Pipe 16 - Cherrywood

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
fiddlestix

Pipe 16 - Cherrywood

Post by fiddlestix »

Finished this one up tonight (minus the bowl coat). It's been in the works for a while, but was set aside to finish other pipes and to move to a new house and shop. There's a few things I'd like to improve on, but overall, I'm pretty pleased. Tell me what I could do better.
Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by fiddlestix on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMG

Re: Pipe 16 - Cherrywood

Post by JMG »

I don't see anything to critique (though Wayne may tell you to clean up the stain line on the chamber, ha.) I really like how you gave the shank accent a slight bigger diameter than the shank itself. Very nice job, Mark.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

IAWJMG
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

PS --

Super-duper ultra-extra insanely picky criticism:

The stem has an ever-so-slight elbow in the middle of the bend. A perfect, flowing "single" curve would look better.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I like the shape a lot. The finish looks a bit cloudy on the bowl. It could be just lighting, but I suspect it being just a little buffing compound or perhaps excess stain that didn't get cleaned off before buffing.

The other picky thing I would mention is the shank cap. There's a defined ridge between the end of the shank and the shank cap. I think a blended line there would look better.

Keep up the good work!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Thanks fellas! George, I see what you're saying on the stem. Will be rectified post haste. Is the stem length alright? I'm not sure if it isn't a touch short. The other issue that is annoying me is that on the drivers side, the briar band has a very slight gap where it meets the shank... Couldn't see it til I cleaned the extra epoxy off.
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

Thanks, Jeremiah. The ridge was intentional, but that may or may not have been the right decision. I am struggling getting a good finish on my blasts. You could very well be right about it being due to extra stain...
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

IAWG&J

Try heating your entire stem evenly then bending from the button with your fingers. I recommend gloves for this.

After that, go back over the stem with high grit to smooth out the lines.

Why did you choose this shank adornment for this pipe?

As to finishing: Remember to ask your friends and mentors for help when you get stuck.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

d.huber wrote: Why did you choose this shank adornment for this pipe?
Mainly just to try something different than what I've done so far. I hadn't ever worked with any live plateaux top but I like it when used in moderation. When I was trying to decide what to do with the shank, I saw a scrap of briar setting on the bench and decided to play around...
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Very Well done, Shine her up!! A suggestion: I just put a wrap of masking tape around the fingers involved when stem bending.Gives a good feel to the process, I don't get burned and it works!
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

That is a GREAT looking number 16! I love the shape, and my main concern is also that shank ring. It needs a little more "defined touch", but a fine pipe nonetheless!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I really like the bowl and shank shape. I find the shank cap not being a flush transition with the shank distracting. My first impression of the stem length was that it was a touch short but it's pretty close to the same length as the shank so it still works. For some reason, my brain wanted to see the stem length the length of the bowl height.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

fiddlestix wrote:
d.huber wrote: Why did you choose this shank adornment for this pipe?
Mainly just to try something different than what I've done so far. I hadn't ever worked with any live plateaux top but I like it when used in moderation. When I was trying to decide what to do with the shank, I saw a scrap of briar setting on the bench and decided to play around...
That's important to do. What do you think of the effect?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
socrates

Post by socrates »

Sweet!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk