Teipen Ryukin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Re: Teipen Ryukin

Post by wdteipen »

notow1 wrote:Wayne, I am not going to do it but was wondering what You use for Your alignment dots, Norm.
Tim West sells it on his rod page at J.H. Lowe. I bought it several years ago to make a replacement stem on a Dunhill for a friend.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Honestly, I don't like it. I don't like the fin that shoot up to nowhere on a top shank line that doesn't make sense, IMO. I don't ever like the flat bottom, two-edge, shanks. And I really don't like that the second edge of the shank just vanishes into the bowl. The whole composition, to me, is frustrating from almost every angle. I don't think I could develop that without a three-page explanation, but it reminds me of a nice song that every few bars has a note from the wrong key. It's certainly not a bad pipe. I'd just call it a frustrating pipe. No part of it seems to reach conclusion.

It is obviously very well made, but I'll break the trend of back patting and say it doesn't work. That's probably the engineer in me not being artsy fartsy, so take it with a grain of salt. I've developed a new role of waiting until a thread is well aged, then commenting that I don't like what everyone else does. I think I'm getting old and cranky. That usually Bruce's role, but he was too nice this thread so I'm picking up the baton.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Tyler wrote:Honestly, I don't like it. I don't like the fin that shoot up to nowhere on a top shank line that doesn't make sense, IMO. I don't ever like the flat bottom, two-edge, shanks. And I really don't like that the second edge of the shank just vanishes into the bowl. The whole composition, to me, is frustrating from almost every angle. I don't think I could develop that without a three-page explanation, but it reminds me of a nice song that every few bars has a note from the wrong key. It's certainly not a bad pipe. I'd just call it a frustrating pipe. No part of it seems to reach conclusion.

It is obviously very well made, but I'll break the trend of back patting and say it doesn't work. That's probably the engineer in me not being artsy fartsy, so take it with a grain of salt. I've developed a new role of waiting until a thread is well aged, then commenting that I don't like what everyone else does. I think I'm getting old and cranky. That usually Bruce's role, but he was too nice this thread so I'm picking up the baton.
Board, allow me to translate:

"The oil biz has taught me that deviousness pays---no morra that Mr. Nice Guy Pastor T for me! So, I rigged a way to get paid per click for this site, and throwing feathers in the fan when a meaty thread slows down is part of how its done in my new world of money-driven evil. MuWAHahahahahaha!"

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Tyler wrote:Honestly, I don't like it. I don't like the fin that shoot up to nowhere on a top shank line that doesn't make sense, IMO. I don't ever like the flat bottom, two-edge, shanks. And I really don't like that the second edge of the shank just vanishes into the bowl. The whole composition, to me, is frustrating from almost every angle. I don't think I could develop that without a three-page explanation, but it reminds me of a nice song that every few bars has a note from the wrong key. It's certainly not a bad pipe. I'd just call it a frustrating pipe. No part of it seems to reach conclusion.

Tyler that is the attitude We need for the Person Who will pick the pipe of the month. It is almost a new month, Norm.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's it! I'm sending the pipe to you to torture you for the rest of your life. :D
Wayne Teipen
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

IAWT...

Am I speaking into a pillow on this thread?

The pipe is half way between symmetry and asymmetry. The sharp turn of the lower line on the shank end is out of balance with the composition.

Choose symmetry or asymmetry but not in between.

Round that sharp turn at the shank end or repeat the design choice elsewhere on the pipe.

Those are the issues with the pipe that I see and that I think Tyler sees. Make those changes on the next one and it'll look much better.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

d.huber wrote:

IAWT...

The pipe is half way between symmetry and asymmetry. The sharp turn of the lower line on the shank end is out of balance with the composition.

Round that sharp turn at the shank end or repeat the design choice elsewhere on the pipe.

Those are the issues with the pipe that I see and that I think Tyler sees. Make those changes on the next one and it'll look much better.
No, not into a pillow, maybe with marbles in your mouth. I couldn't figure out what you didn't like. :D I should have recognized you as being a fellow dissenter, but in the editorial moment I decided to make fun of myself as the lone dissenter. It was more remarkable and triumphant to infer solo dissent than, "Me and one other guy don't like this."
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't like it either, but only cuz Wayne made it. If anyone else made it, I'd like it fine. :thumbsup: Now that, my friends, that's integrity, right there.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

IAWT, too. I don't think it's a bad pipe but it leaves me frustrated too and I'm left feeling like the overall design lacks balance. I'm uncertain, though, what it means to embrace asymmetry in a pipes composition. I think it would make for a good discussion so I'll start another thread.
Wayne Teipen
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Tyler wrote:
d.huber wrote:

IAWT...

No, not into a pillow, maybe with marbles in your mouth. I couldn't figure out what you didn't like. :D I should have recognized you as being a fellow dissenter, but in the editorial moment I decided to make fun of myself as the lone dissenter. It was more remarkable and triumphant to infer solo dissent than, "Me and one other guy don't like this."
I always forget to take the marbles out. I'll work on that. :P

-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Leave the ones in your head, they have good ideas! LOL. :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

I don't like it either because that is apparently the popular trend and I want to be popular.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'm working on a reply to other thread right now and it's forcing me to think over this stuff some more. Love it!

On an Ivarsson blowfish, the asymmetric line which bridges the shank face and bowl rim is utilized to highlight the inherent symmetry in the piece, IMO, but never crosses or even touches the central axis of symmetry along the length of the pipe. On your pipe, it does, which makes my eyes hurt. I bet if that Ivarsson line hadn't crossed the central axis of symmetry your composition would work better.

-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Z axis has risen and a line has been drawn, Good luck and may you create your dreams!
JMG

Post by JMG »

I think it's obvious that Tyler is a pastor and not a music minister.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

wdteipen wrote: Yep. It's the whole reason I put the alignment dots on it. The shank is asymmetrical and plays tricks with your eyes when aligning the stem. It's also why I stamped it to the side. If I stamped it centered on the centerline like the dots it would look weird. If I stamped it on what appears to be center of the shank it would make the dots seem even more off center. When holding the pipe in hand it really messes with your head a little.

What you talkin' bout, Willis?
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

d.huber wrote:Am I speaking into a pillow on this thread?

Dear Mr Huber.....pillow talk is best left to the bedroom. :lol:

Hope this helps!

Scottie
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com