"Scottie" Dublin

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

"Scottie" Dublin

Post by scotties22 »

This is the second little Dublin I have made. I like this one a lot better than the first. Comment and critiques welcome.

Length: 5.83"
Width: 1.32"
Height: 1.64"
Chamber: .60 x 1.47"
Weight: 20g

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Re: "Scottie" Dublin

Post by scotties22 »

Haha...woops....meant to put this in the Gallery :oops:
www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Dickhead.

This one looks pretty nice! It's good to see a subtle taper through the shank. I think you left a bit too much meat on the shank-bowl transition. Just a titch. The stem may also be a little bit too long. I think it would look more proportionate if stem length mirrored the bowl's height.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I just took a look at it again and I don't think I hit the bowl above the shank with the blaster. It was good before the blast. I actually started with a shorter stem on it and didn't like it. I do however tend to make my stems longer than they should be and probably should have left it alone.
www.ladybriar.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

scotties22 wrote:I just took a look at it again and I don't think I hit the bowl above the shank with the blaster. It was good before the blast. I actually started with a shorter stem on it and didn't like it. I do however tend to make my stems longer than they should be and probably should have left it alone.
You're really good.

TJ
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Oh shit way to go Johnson, now every time we talk to Scottie she's gonna be like "Remember that time Todd Johnson said I was really good?" for like, the next seven years. :banghead:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sasquatch wrote:Oh shit way to go Johnson, now every time we talk to Scottie she's gonna be like "Remember that time Todd Johnson said I was really good?" for like, the next seven years. :banghead:
Way to go Bannard. Now she definitely will!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

d.huber wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Oh shit way to go Johnson, now every time we talk to Scottie she's gonna be like "Remember that time Todd Johnson said I was really good?" for like, the next seven years. :banghead:
Way to go Bannard. Now she definitely will!

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA........bet you just CAN'T WAIT to talk to me tomorrow night now...can ya??? :LOL:
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

ToddJohnson wrote:
scotties22 wrote:I just took a look at it again and I don't think I hit the bowl above the shank with the blaster. It was good before the blast. I actually started with a shorter stem on it and didn't like it. I do however tend to make my stems longer than they should be and probably should have left it alone.
You're really good.

TJ
I'm putting this shit on a T-Shirt! Thanks Todd :D
www.ladybriar.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

BTW, if you're using 3/16" stainless tubing, you can get an Alphabetical or Wire Gauge bit that's maybe .005" bigger than 3/16 and sleeve almost the whole shank (stopping about 1/4" from where the draft hole enters the bowl.) That way you can slide the tubing all the way in without a tremendously tight fit. Glue the last 1/2" that's not sticking out. If you use your live center, you can turn the shank all the way down to about .240. Gotta do it with something like a poker though, or you don't have enough briar at the bottom of the tobacco chamber. Cool pipe. Very elegant, and very feminine.

TJ
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

ToddJohnson wrote:BTW, if you're using 3/16" stainless tubing, you can get an Alphabetical or Wire Gauge bit that's maybe .005" bigger than 3/16 and sleeve almost the whole shank (stopping about 1/4" from where the draft hole enters the bowl.) That way you can slide the tubing all the way in without a tremendously tight fit. Glue the last 1/2" that's not sticking out. If you use your live center, you can turn the shank all the way down to about .240. Gotta do it with something like a poker though, or you don't have enough briar at the bottom of the tobacco chamber. Cool pipe. Very elegant, and very feminine.

TJ
Done, done, done and done. That's just how I do them. There usually ends up being about .13" below the bottom of the chamber. The shank On this is about .28" if I remember correctly.
www.ladybriar.com
socrates

Post by socrates »

As usual a very nice pipe s-22. One day when I grow up I will acquire one of your beauties. I usually tend toward bulky/heavier pipes but your styles appeal to me.
Albert.A

Post by Albert.A »

Wow, I really like this kind of pencilshank, very elegant! good job as always! :)
Perfection is key, but damn near impossible to achieve!

https://www.facebook.com/albertsmokingpipes
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Superb; in you usual line.
Best regards.
Félix

Espléndida; en tú linea habitual.
Saludos.
Félix
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

Is the draft hole in the bottom of the bowl a little larger on this style of pipe? Or I wonder if it's a trick of the shiny spot making it seem so large.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

SmokeyBert wrote:Is the draft hole in the bottom of the bowl a little larger on this style of pipe? Or I wonder if it's a trick of the shiny spot making it seem so large.
Yes, the newest fad in pipe making is to have an expanded hole near the bowl. It allows a greater amount of tobacco to be sucked into the mouth. This is something that the chewing tobacco and pipe cleaner industries have been pushing for quite some time.

It's the reflection from a magnet............ :bangin:
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

baweaverpipes wrote:
SmokeyBert wrote:Is the draft hole in the bottom of the bowl a little larger on this style of pipe? Or I wonder if it's a trick of the shiny spot making it seem so large.
Yes, the newest fad in pipe making is to have an expanded hole near the bowl. It allows a greater amount of tobacco to be sucked into the mouth. This is something that the chewing tobacco and pipe cleaner industries have been pushing for quite some time.

Geeez Bruce, lighten up. After all SmokeyBert is so far north he might as well be Canadian. :lol:

Actually SB, it is a steel ball (one of Bruce's gonads he gave to Scottie for this purpose). He had to get rid of them due to the fact that they kept smacking him on the forehead because of his magnetic personality. What happened to the other one remains a mystery.
What you don't see is the magnet under the stand the pipe is resting upon. Makes the pipe easy to position for photography.

It's the reflection from a magnet............ :bangin:
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Superb pipe Scotty!