What do you think?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
NvilleDave

What do you think?

Post by NvilleDave »

This is my latest creation--been a while. 7/8" chamber that is 1 1/4" deep, cumberland stem, total length is just over 5", very light, drill is bottom dead center. Had to rusticate the bottom due to some small sand pits... Briar is from Mimmo.

The stem doesn't seem to flow quite right... I may need to rework it and take a bit off the top. What do you all think?

Dave
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Nice lines!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

Great looking pipe. Love the way the grain runs. IMO by "Had to rusticate the bottom" adds to the over all look and flow of the grain.
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Very nice piece of wood!! It is a shame about the pits on the bottom but, as much as I am sure it would look "better" if you hadn't had to rusticate, I don't think that it distracts that much from the pipe.

I do see what you mean about the stem. In the bottom pic, it looks a bit chunky, if you know what I mean. The lip looks quite large, too. With such a short shanked pipe I prefer a long, slim stem.

Nice piece of work, just the same. :thumb:
Nick

Post by Nick »

I agree with Bren. The stem looks a bit chunky. It has sort of a hump on top. Slim it down and lets see some new pics. All in all, a very nice pipe!
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Thanks guys! I see what you mean about the "hump" in the stem... that's what I was seeing too. Over the next few days I'll try to slim it down some and post a followup.

I also need to increase my button shaping skills... not my strongest suit. I'll do a search of the forums and see if I can get a better idea of dimensions for it.

Dave