tomato-ish

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

tomato-ish

Post by kamkiel »

I have made a couple of pipes recently. Three of them are billiards and the other two are, well, not. This one I am assuming is a tomato, but please correct me if I'm wrong. One of the deans at the university I work at/attend asked me to make a rounder fatter pipe that would be comfortable to hold in the hand. So I made this for him. I think he will like it. Please tell me what you think.

Thanks for looking
Kiel

P.S. I tried getting a better picture of the button, but my camera would focus in on it...sorry
sandahlpipe

Re: tomato-ish

Post by sandahlpipe »

I can't tell if your stem is smudged or if those are sanding scratches, but either way, you should clean that stuff up.

The shank/stem junction looks a little rough like the shank face may be chipped on the corners from facing.

Also, your stem looks nice and thin, but a saddle stem needs a very slight taper for two reasons. 1. The taper helps balance the visual appearance of the stem, and 2. The taper helps the smoker find a comfortable spot to clench the pipe.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

After the above by Jeremia; and I agree , That's a nice pipe and one of my favorite shapes. The tune up won't take long and the professor will have a friend for life. For most its' a good pipe now. :thumbsup:
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks for the noticing the junction and stem gunk. After I posted this I searched the forum about how to polish the shank face. I should have done the search before I finished the pipe. I tried to polish the face of the stem and the shank face and ruined the junction a bit.

As far as the compound material on the stem, I am first, probably using too much polishing compound when I buff, but what I want to know is how to get left over compound off the button and out of the slot? I keep thinking DNA but I don't have any around the shop. I also am trying to remember when one of my good friends was cleaning an old nasty stem. He I think he used DNA to get the cake and build up out of the stem, but it also oxidized the ebonite pretty good too.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Definitely use DNA. It's an absolute must to have around the shop for so many different applications. I use it after tripoli to make sure I got the scratches out and a little bit after white diamond to clean off excess compound and dust.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

sandahlpipe wrote:Definitely use DNA. It's an absolute must to have around the shop for so many different applications. I use it after tripoli to make sure I got the scratches out and a little bit after white diamond to clean off excess compound and dust.
Cool. I will have to buy some.

Thanks