My first blasted pipe!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Lundell

My first blasted pipe!

Post by Lundell »

Finally got the sandblasting to work, somewhat well anyways. This is the result of my first try at making a sandblasted pipe.
Thanks for looking!
kamkiel

Re: My first blasted pipe!

Post by kamkiel »

Cool! I have never critiqued a pipe on the forum, but this looks like a blasted poker! Maybe you could have started the saddle closer towards the shank and it looks like the shank is pinched in the middle. Possibly a result from the blast. Take my critique with a grain of salt though.

Getting a sandblasting set up is one of the things on my long list. I'm saving up for a bigger lathe. I'm afraid to even start looking at what I need to buy for blasting (afraid to look at the prices too)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The sandblast doesn't look bad. Especially for a first attempt.

I think the saddle on the stem would look better much closer to the shank, though.

Keep up the nice work!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The blast looks nice and even. One thing you can do to prevent the blast from leaving a reversed taper to you shank is to leave a little a slightly exaggerated taper then feather your blast. The only other suggestion I would make on this pipe overall is to put a bit more angle on the base of the bowl so the shank and stem doesn't look like it's pointing downwards. Other than that it's a nice pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

My only critiques would be that the shank would probably look better if it angle slightly upward...sort of appears to be drooping a bit. and the shellac (if that is what you used) seems a little thick to me, but not bad. Nice first blast.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

Thanks! I agree about the saddle and the angles. And although it's not shellac but carnauba wax, the application might need some fine tuning! :wink: