material guessing game!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
SmokeyBert

material guessing game!

Post by SmokeyBert »

I think I have narrowed these two middle blanks down to teak and mahogany. Ddoes that sound right looking at the grain
and color? The outside materials are Birch on the left and African Blackwood on the far right. Mysterious pieces in the
middle. The blanks are about 1" thick and have been rough sanded only, nothing else.

Also if you enjoy the guessing game at all, check out these cut outs. At first I assumed these were cut by someone making
parts for pens. Now I'm wondering if they could be for cue's or maybe even for pipe stem adornment. I would love to hear
what you guys think! These pieces range from around 1"-1.5"
W.Pastuch

Re: material guessing game!

Post by W.Pastuch »

The wood in the first photo are red palm (left) and black palm (right).
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

I think the mahogany (L) and teak (R) are correct for the first photo. The bottom ones look like bubinga (T) and African blackwood (B) but it would be easier to be sure if they were sanded smooth.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I would also go with red and black palm in the first pic. A pic of the end grain would tell us for sure.

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

IAWR
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

second from the right top photo looks like wenge
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

RadDavis wrote:I would also go with red and black palm in the first pic. A pic of the end grain would tell us for sure.

Rad
I will get an end grain pic, and see what I can do about the lighting. One of my CFL's popped on me, the largest wattage of course, when I was setting up my lighting so it didn't turn out very well.

SB
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

If the end grain looks like round dots (reddish or black) on a light colored background, then it's definitely red and black palm.
These wood are quite difficult to confuse with anything else once you've had them in your hand. Wenge, teak, mahogany, they're all pretty "normal" woods, palmwood is quite unique (and a bitch to work with, super sharp tools are essential).
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

SmokeyBert wrote:
RadDavis wrote:I would also go with red and black palm in the first pic. A pic of the end grain would tell us for sure.

Rad
I will get an end grain pic, and see what I can do about the lighting. One of my CFL's popped on me, the largest wattage of course, when I was setting up my lighting so it didn't turn out very well.

SB
Also, please learn to re-size your pics before posting them, so we can see them all at once without having to scroll around. :wink:

Rad
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

RadDavis wrote:Also, please learn to re-size your pics before posting them, so we can see them all at once without having to scroll around. :wink:
Rad
You're right about that, the pictures were awful at full rez sry guys, will be fixed in future posts.