"Scottie Dog"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

"Scottie Dog"

Post by scotties22 »

Comments and critiques welcome

Length: 5.42"
Width: 1.34"
Height: 1.57"
Chamber: .64" x 1.45"
Weight: 20g

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Re: "Scottie Dog"

Post by wdteipen »

I like this one a lot better than the tall pencil shanked bulldog/rhodesian you made aesthetically speaking. Bummer about the flaw on this one. Deeper rings and a little closer together.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I would have stained this one a darker color because of the flaw. Other than that, she looks good!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Other than the flaw, I've got nothin.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Simple, buy briar without flaws. Other than that I think you got this.

:lol:
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Really like it Scottie. Thought when you did the tall one that I liked the stack better than i would a normal shape but I was mistaken, this is AWESOME! . Have you snapped any shanks doing theses super skinny ones?
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

i.keenum wrote:Really like it Scottie. Thought when you did the tall one that I liked the stack better than i would a normal shape but I was mistaken, this is AWESOME! . Have you snapped any shanks doing theses super skinny ones?
I have snapped three so far. Every time it happens it's because I mis-measured the ss tube and it doesn't go all the way to the bowl. Just right to the edge, but not into it. I shoot for about an eighth inch of the tube into the bowl. When I'm not a blonde and I measure things correctly they are surprisingly strong. I have bounced more than one across the shop floor with no ill-effects (though I would not recommend doing so to my customers :lol: ).
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Ocelot55 wrote:I would have stained this one a darker color because of the flaw. Other than that, she looks good!
Just put a coat of Red/Brown over the top and it did make a huge difference. I'll go get the camera and take a few pics in just a bit. Thank God the mailman decided to leave the box in my mailbox yesterday instead of doing his job and taking it :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Nate wrote:Simple, buy briar without flaws. Other than that I think you got this.

I wonder if I am killing my brair the wrong way once I get it. Maybe I should turn right instead of left during Kurt's famed "Briar Aging Dance" :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5152 .....so everyone gets that little joke years from now :D
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Restained pics. Here are a few views with the flaw visible.

I know I should have gone darker, but the stain is wicking through the bottom of the bowl and I don't want to make it worse.
www.ladybriar.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

scotties22 wrote:
Nate wrote:Simple, buy briar without flaws. Other than that I think you got this.

I wonder if I am killing my brair the wrong way once I get it. Maybe I should turn right instead of left during Kurt's famed "Briar Aging Dance" :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5152 .....so everyone gets that little joke years from now :D
Ha! :lol: Back when Kurt used to post. :twisted: