Whistle Tampers

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
billiard

Whistle Tampers

Post by billiard »

I finished up a pipe a couple days ago using some Madrona wood as an inlay:

"Marmalade on a short stack"

and I thought Madrona might make a nice little tamper too. Well, I had just made a bunch of those little wooden whistles for my son and friends and thought if I just turn slimmer spindles...

So Whistle Tampers :)

I think they are fun myself :)
socrates

Re: Whistle Tampers

Post by socrates »

Pretty cool!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Awesome! :thumbsup:
Ocyd

Post by Ocyd »

Can you make one that works on dogs? Sometimes they get too caught up in what's living in the bushes to want to come back in.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks guys :)
Ocyd wrote:Can you make one that works on dogs? Sometimes they get too caught up in what's living in the bushes to want to come back in.
Sure, you just move the notch down to vary the pitch. I already promised a dog whistle version to one of my regulars with his next pipe. I'll have to figure out how to test them though, can't hear the dog whistle... Maybe there is an app for it ;)
DaninDayton

Post by DaninDayton »

the app is called a dog.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
DaninDayton
ilurkalot
billiard

Post by billiard »

:)

Well a trained dog app. My dog is trained but not to a dog whistle. He comes when I call him, but when I blow the whistle I just think it's working because his ears twitch and he looks around... but he's my dog after all so that means he is quirky and odd in the first place... so he sort of twitches and looks around aimlessly all the time :D
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

I (and my five year old daughter) would b LOVE to learn how to make these! care to share?
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
billiard

Post by billiard »

I think I'm going to start including a free whistle tamper with each pipe I sell, I've gotten some really great feedback from my mailing list and sold a couple as well.

Anyhow, plain old wooden whistles are really easy but I'll warn you to make a few because all of your daughter's friends are going to want them as well ;)

Here is a great video on it, I cleaned things up a little, e.g. I turned the spindles and drilled on a metal lathe and cut the notch with my strip sander but the ones in the vid work just fine for the kids. I'll add you can cut a wedge off under the airway to make them fit in a small mouth easier or if your not using dowels like in the video just turn the spindles down smaller. Also don't stain them.

have fun and blow smoke through it too, lol :)
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

nice! thanks!
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/