oval shank egg maybe?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Albert.A

oval shank egg maybe?

Post by Albert.A »

Hello everyone. I finished this pipe a few days ago but havn't had the time to take any pictures untill now. The ring is aluminium and the extension is pearwood. I'm pretty pleased with this pipe exept for a few little things, and I fear there may be a little to much going on with all the colors, but I don't know, you tell me?

Anyway, the biggest problem with this pipe is that the airway is about 1,5 mm of to one side, and that makes me a bit uncomfortable to sell this one, but I don't need to keep it for myself either. Will the little "of-centerness" affect the smoking performance or is it purely an esthetic flaw?

Oh, and what would you call this shape? is it some kind of straight egg, or just a more curvy billiard?

As always, tell me what you think and sorry for the crappy pics, I'm working on my lighting! :)

/Albert
Attachments
DSC_0213.JPG
(69.01 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
DSC_0214.JPG
(66.61 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
DSC_0215.JPG
(59.61 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Last edited by Albert.A on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perfection is key, but damn near impossible to achieve!

https://www.facebook.com/albertsmokingpipes
Albert.A

Re: oval shank egg maybe?

Post by Albert.A »

pics
Attachments
DSC_0218.JPG
(71.53 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
DSC_0219.JPG
(79.07 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Perfection is key, but damn near impossible to achieve!

https://www.facebook.com/albertsmokingpipes
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

i kept one of my own pipes that had the same problem with the drilling. It smokes justs fine, but i'm not sure it would be "sell-able"
I like the bowl on this one. I think you did a good job on it, and it's rather elegant.
I'm not into that pearwood thing though, i think it looks a bit misplaced or something. I cant tell if it's because of the length or the actual wood itself.
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

You could, perhaps, sell it at a discount as a "second."
- Steve S.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Drilling off center really isn't a issue that will affect the smoking performance, however it is potentially off putting to customers. Should still be a great little pipe.