Critiques on my first pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
swilly

Critiques on my first pipe

Post by swilly »

I recently re-acquired my camera and the first thing I did was take photos of this pipe. Things have been slow recently, as I didn't want to go too far with my next pipe without the hearing some of the excellent critiques and feedback you guys provide.

I started working on shaping this pipe sometime in April. Used a vice, dowel, and rasp for the majority of the shaping. It went through multiple "drafts" until around early July, when I deemed the shape "satisfactory" (around 80-120 grit at this point). I returned to the theatre scene shop where I set up my motor. I decided to try using the 220 grit sanding disc, messed up the shape slightly, then decided I wanted to slim the pipe down anyways.

Reached my true final shape and began the staining process. I hand-sanded the pipe with a worn-out piece of 180 grit, stained it black, waited a day, then sanded it down with 400 grit and then applied a light brown. Waited another day then sanded again with 600 to get rid of areas that had excess stain. Loaded all three wheels with their respective compounds (Red Tripoli, White Diamond, Carnauba). I made sure not to over-load the wheels and ran a scrap piece of wood through each to slightly break them in a bit.

For the mouthpiece, I wet sanded all the way up to 1000 grit. The mouthpiece was another place that I don't think I spent nearly enough time and devotion to, and it shows. I watched George's video on getting a good finish on the vulcanite bit, but I didn't vigorously follow it. I also realize the shape of the airway isn't really pretty on this pipe, but I don't have a file/saw small enough to really shape it. To sum it up, I know I have a looong way to go with making nice stems. I need to invest in/find some tools first.

What I already know that needs improving:
1) The junction between the stem and the stummel is not flush because in an effort to rid myself of all scratches, I over-did the sanding at the shank. What do you guys recommend to counter this? Should I have just spent a bunch of time sanding the junction with the stem attached? I suppose that's really the only option...

2) The shape isn't exactly symmetrical. I noticed while I was shooting the the down-the-stem view that one side was different than the other -- I needed to remove a bit more material left side of the shank/bowl junction. It looks kind of severe in the photo but in reality it's only a smidgen off. Buuuut,that smidgen is what differentiates truly symmetrical to from lopsided.

3) I think the taper on my shank --> stem could be smoother and more intentional. Looking at the photos now, it almost looks a bit lumpy. Also, I think I should have a bit of a taper, waist, then a slight widening when I get closer to the mouthpiece, kind of like this picture of George's work, where the mouthpiece flattens but widens.
http://www.precisionpiperepair.com/Imag ... %20275.jpg

4) I could improve my patience. I spent so much time on the shaping that I definitely rushed things during the final steps.

I'm not sure what else really needs tweaking. Let me know what you think I should improve on and whether or not my own self-critiques are anywhere accurate. Thanks in advance!

sandahlpipe

Re: Critiques on my first pipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Definitely sand with the stem attached. That will eliminate the rounding at the shank. Also, make sure you're sanding the button itself, not just the stem. You've got some heavy scratching on the front of the button. For getting an even shape on the stummel, watch this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83UEf1g ... RvZb8q8uNQ

Otherwise, it's a nice first pipe. I wish I could have made my first several pipes as nice as this.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
BrianMadsen

Post by BrianMadsen »

That is a great first pipe! I'm still new to pipe making, but i've already experienced that my pipes become much better when i don't rush things. Take as much time as needed in every step, and you will be more satisfied in the end.

How many different grits are you using? (i ask because you mentioned that you went from a 180 to 400. Although you said a worn-out 180 grit, that still is a big jump, i think)
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

Great first pipe brother (way better that my first blob of a pipe :lol: ), Nothing to say that hasn't already been said. Keep up the great work , can't wait to see what is in store if this is your first. :thumbsup:
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I ditto Jeremiah.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

baweaverpipes wrote:I ditto Jeremiah.
Bruce wishes I had made my first several pipes as well as this, too... :thumbsup: :lol:
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
swilly

Post by swilly »

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! Indeed, the stem has room for much improvement. I'm going to invest in some smaller files/saws to help improve their look. In the meantime, on to my next pipe! I can tell this will be a lot of fun...

Also, to answer BrianMadsen, I used 40, 80, 180, a bit of 220 (on the sanding disc), 400, 600, then 1000 (just for the vulcanite). I received some advice from Nate that I should add some grits in between. I plan on adding 320 to my sandpaper stable, which should help me with scratch removal. I may also add in 800 grit between 600 and 1000 for the vulcanite. However, methinks that the small file/saw is more a priority than the sandpapers, as the button as a whole has room for a lot of improvement.

Everytime I visit my friend's workshop (he makes all sorts of random things from bows to BDSM chain whips >_>) I get excited to work on my craft some more. Cheers!

-Alex