Pipes #4 and #5

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
magruder

Pipes #4 and #5

Post by magruder »

Here are my fourth and fifth pipes. All comments solicited and welcome.
Image[/img]
magruder

forgot one view

Post by magruder »

magruder

Post by magruder »

Thanx Random. Just noticed stem was not pushed in all the way :roll:
Sorry about big images - photographers are like that , you know :wink:
Nick

Post by Nick »

NICE! I agree with Random, pipe number 4 rocks! Great job on integrating the spot rustucations. The little tail that flairs out is a wonderfully artful touch. Really makes the pipe.

Pipe 5 is cool too. I like the natural finish, and the flow is pretty good, but it does have a kind of "Scott Johnson, war-club-esque" feel to it. Not nearly as graceful as #4.

How do they smoke?
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

HEY!

:cry:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ScoJo wrote:HEY!

:cry:
Scott, quit whining! Aren't you due to show us another pipe? Hmmmm??
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Number four is a beaut!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

NICK wrote:
Pipe 5 is cool too. I like the natural finish, and the flow is pretty good, but it does have a kind of "Scott Johnson, war-club-esque" feel to it. Not nearly as graceful as #4.

It's interesting that folks seem to like #4 best. When you see them in person, #5 is definitly the more graceful. It's a smaller pipe and the hand feel is wonderful. It is so asymetrical, that it is hard to convey it in photos.
Invariably, when I pull them out together, people reach for the Asymetrical Squashed Egg first. :dunno:
I'll bring them to Chicago so you guys can see them for real.

I really appreciate that folks take the time to write a bit on these. All are welcome to, as I have curiosity about peoples' ideas on these two.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Asymmetry is hard to handle, since it brings some kind of suspense into every design work. This irritating tension defines the attraction of asymmetries, but – asymmetry has to be well belanced in the whole thing as well, or it tends to fall on one side.

Overall – from the pics of pipe #5 – I get an impression of a rather swirlish, rotating feel of the bowl. Looking at pic 6 (the extra posting), I think the asymmetricals style could be moving on to the stem more clearly. From the viewpoint of pic 6, it seems, there is some asymmetry within the stem, but the first eyecatching shape, the expansion directly behind the stem/shank-fit, seems a bit to circular for me. If this shape would somehow continue the shape of the shank end (esp. the corner in the upper left of the oval shape), It might make the pipe a bit more "made in one style". At least the pics give me the feeling of an interesting bowl with a rather normal stem stuck into it.

This is a feeling I often have when looking at rather odd freehand styles. Especially those clumsy take-the-root-directly-from-the-ground-bowls with those flimsy (compared to the bowls) ring and ball stems. Often seen with Preben Holm pipes. Sorry, I don't dig those at all. :dunno:

Might be the pics only, might be my point of view only.

Alex
magruder

Post by magruder »

ALEX wrote:
Overall – from the pics of pipe #5 – I get an impression of a rather swirlish, rotating feel of the bowl. Looking at pic 6 (the extra posting), I think the asymmetricals style could be moving on to the stem more clearly. From the viewpoint of pic 6, it seems, there is some asymmetry within the stem, but the first eyecatching shape, the expansion directly behind the stem/shank-fit, seems a bit to circular for me. If this shape would somehow continue the shape of the shank end (esp. the corner in the upper left of the oval shape), It might make the pipe a bit more "made in one style". At least the pics give me the feeling of an interesting bowl with a rather normal stem stuck into it.
Alex - I agree completely! The stem in this pipe was made from a preformed disc and ball bit that I modified. The ball was not large enough to exactly
"echo" the end of the shank. When I have the tools to cut my own stems, I will make that expansion behind the shank a copy of the end of the shank.

Thank you very much for your comments, and for noticing this detail :thumb:
costi

Post by costi »

i like both pipes but #5 is marvelous! and i'm really glad you have the possibility to go to the chicago show.