Clay Pipe Inspired Briar

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

Clay Pipe Inspired Briar

Post by scotties22 »

I have been playing around with different ideas over the past few days. This is my first attempt at this little pipe and I thought I would share. The shank is .308" in diameter at the stem end. I ran ss tubing the length of the shank and it has a reverse tenon. It is surprisingly strong....I dropped it on the floor a few minutes ago (that's why there's no foot....it snapped off :lol: ) and it didn't crack :thumbsup:

With the next one I want to get the shank down under .25". This is a work in progress and a design I am going to be playing with for the next little while. Like getting a ball nose end mill so I can drill the chamber like normal instead of having to use my damned dremel to open it up :banghead:

I still have a bit of shaping to do to the bowl, just to clean up the lines a bit. And I still don't know how I feel about the fishtail and the stem in general.

All comments welcome.

Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
sandahlpipe

Re: Clay Pipe Inspired Briar

Post by sandahlpipe »

I like where this is heading. I could see myself smoking a lightweight pipe like this.

I still haven't figured out fishtails on tapered stems. You probably need to make the fishtail less pronounced somehow, whether that means making it narrower or making the taper more gradual.

The rim inside the chamber looks a little rough, but I can't tell if those are shadows or drill bit chatter.

The side of the bowl opposite the shank looks too tall for my taste, but there are certainly examples of clay pipes shaped like this, so it's not completely wrong.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I used a 1/2" forstner to drill the chamber and opened it up with my dremel. I haven't sanded it yet, so it is REALLY rough inside.

I used a clay pipe I have as an example and it has quite an exagerated rim. I have made a few pipes this way and like the way it looks.....on the right pipe.

I'm actually trying to decide if I want to put a traditional button on it at all. I think the next one might have a very tiny button on it that is the same diameter as the rest of the shank.....we'll see. Gotta give that some more thought.
www.ladybriar.com
i.keenum

Post by i.keenum »

That's a looker Scottie. Bet it's fun trying to get a clean piece of briar that long, did you put the metal tenon in prior to turning it on the lathe?
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

In the Eltang school of stems, go wide on the button for comfort unless you are married to the idea of a true clay pipe clone. Start the stem's taper further up toward the joint then it won't be so abrupt looking. This would be a good candidate for a tapered-wall bowl to keep some decent wall thickness in the chamber otherwise it will be a red-hot momma. Food for thought: carbon fiber tubing for the tenon, reverse or standard.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I drilled the airway and then drilled for and insterted my tubing. Then I turned it with a live center in the tailstock.

I really want to go with a clay clone, I think. Gonna take it with me to the meeting tonight and let George and Quinton have a look at it and see what they say.

Why carbon fiber? Lighter? Any other advantages?
www.ladybriar.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Maybe round the shank side of the bowl a little more to echo the front side. Other than that the shaping is excellent, especially the shank and first part of the stem. :)

Fishtail stems need to be much more gradual to give a more elegant look, rather than round, round round, round....... FLAIR!

Rad
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

RadDavis wrote:Maybe round the shank side of the bowl a little more to echo the front side. Other than that the shaping is excellent, especially the shank and first part of the stem. :)

Fishtail stems need to be much more gradual to give a more elegant look, rather than round, round round, round....... FLAIR!

Rad
IAWR
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
socrates

Post by socrates »

Very nice!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

IAWD
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

David, WFCWYT??? :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Ditto to what "The Big Dude" (ie Rad) says.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Charl wrote:Ditto to what "The Big Dude" (ie Rad) says.
I LIKE that! From now on all of you can call me "The Big Dude", or if you want, just "The Dude" will do.

I will always abide. :lol:

Rad
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Well this one is as finished as its gonna get. It's going to be my shop pipe and I have to move on to other things...namely pipes I can sell :lol: . I have an idea for the button on the next one.

Wow...those pictures aren't as clear as I thought they were :lol:
www.ladybriar.com