Strawberry NoseWarmer

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

Strawberry NoseWarmer

Post by billiard »

I'm going to take Scottie's advise in >this thread< and share my most recent commissioned pipe I made over the weekend and mailed out this morning.

A smidge over 4" in length and a smidge over an ounce.

My comments:
1) Combine the fact that I really suck at photography,it was extremely hot out (for us), and it was the end of a long day and these pics really suck. E.G. I don't think pic 3 is close to being straight onto the bowl. Pic 2 because of the angle distorts the proportions a bit. It's ok though this pipe is a commission and was already sold, just some pics for my site.

2) On pic 2, you can see a haze where the side of the stem meets the back of the saddle. It would be easy for me to blame reflections or glare but I think that is actually there when viewed under the bright sun like in that pic. I watched George's video posted awhile ago an it really helped resolve the issue on the tops and the bottom of the stem, particularly behind the button. I straightened and redid the stem twice and the last time I thought I had nailed it but there it is in the pic. I am using the same procedures on the sides as on the top of saddle, perhaps it is practice and I'll nail it but if someone has tips here on what I need to do differently on the side behind a saddle I will gladly listen. Unless your George: Please have a link to your site in your sig so I can go look at your examples of nice clean pics where you nailed it ;) :)

Thanks,
Bill
Nate

Re: Strawberry NoseWarmer

Post by Nate »

Cool stuff Bill!! Love strawberry wood too, tons of fun!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

It's rare that I see a pipe and think that I just have to have that pipe.....this is one of them. Now I really wish I had another piece of strawberry laying around so I could make one. I really like to stem too.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

Nate wrote:Cool stuff Bill!! Love strawberry wood too, tons of fun!
Thanks Nate :) That Strawberry sure is fun and easy to work with. I made a really really small one from the remnants of the block this pipe came from so I could try one myself and it smokes 5100 like a champ, a very sweet smoke (prolly in my head, but seems sweet to me).
scotties22 wrote:It's rare that I see a pipe and think that I just have to have that pipe.....this is one of them. Now I really wish I had another piece of strawberry laying around so I could make one. I really like to stem too.
You made my day Scottie, thank you :) I've got one block left myself or I'd send you one. These came from Steve and I hope he gets more in soon.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Me too. I have my name on 10 as soon as he gets them in. :)
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a pretty nice pipe. I'm curious what your button and bit measurements are on this one. The button looks a bit chunky and the bit a bit thick but it may just be the nosewarmer proportions make it appear that way. Still a nice one.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

In my opinion you could improve two things
- make it more shiny with carnauba wax ;)
- and I think a sharp , geometrical cut saddle like you made is very rewarding to the pipemaker when he nails it ;), but it's not as nice as a smoother transition. (

There is nice flow in the shank and the wood is reallly interesting!
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

very nice shape and flow! I like the chunkiness of the stem, and it's steep decrease, but I agree with Wayne, the bit seems a little thick. SUPER nice pipe.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
billiard

Post by billiard »

Hey guys thanks for the comments!

It's definitely the small pipe effect making the stem and button look big. Remember it's only 4" long and it's a close up pic. I use a very old set of calipers that measure in 1/32" of an inch. I stopped with the files as soon as I showed under 5/32" behind the button and a little under 1/4" top to bottom of the button. I then work through all the grits with nail files. I don't use my old calipers on a finished stem because they will scratch but I'm confident saying it's not too big. The look may be exaggerated by the stem as it's a pretty flat stem, if that makes any sense.

I tend to like a sharp saddle, it's my personal style preference. This was my commission previous to the strawberry (not for critique, please, just to illustrate):

I've been told to make blasts shinier twice lately, I'll work on that :)
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

billiard wrote:Hey guys thanks for the comments!

It's definitely the small pipe effect making the stem and button look big. Remember it's only 4" long and it's a close up pic. I use a very old set of calipers that measure in 1/32" of an inch. I stopped with the files as soon as I showed under 5/32" behind the button and a little under 1/4" top to bottom of the button. I then work through all the grits with nail files. I don't use my old calipers on a finished stem because they will scratch but I'm confident saying it's not too big. The look may be exaggerated by the stem as it's a pretty flat stem, if that makes any sense.

I tend to like a sharp saddle, it's my personal style preference. This was my commission previous to the strawberry (not for critique, please, just to illustrate):

I've been told to make blasts shinier twice lately, I'll work on that :)
Try Renaissance wax and a horse hair shoe brush. Yes, the petroleum smell goes away.
billiard

Post by billiard »

oklahoma red wrote:Try Renaissance wax and a horse hair shoe brush. Yes, the petroleum smell goes away.
Thanks much. I use to use this method on rusticated pipes but I went to something else and have not tried renaissance on a blasted yet. I'll give it a go on the next one. 10 years Army = I can spit shine. LOL!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

A really easy way to get a deep shine on a blast, is to load the carnuba wheel heavily. Buff with some pressure, until you can see flecks of wax everywhere. Then you can take a heat gun, and gently(careful not to burn the briar) melt all the wax. Let it cool, and you should be good to go.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
billiard

Post by billiard »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:A really easy way to get a deep shine on a blast, is to load the carnuba wheel heavily. Buff with some pressure, until you can see flecks of wax everywhere. Then you can take a heat gun, and gently(careful not to burn the briar) melt all the wax. Let it cool, and you should be good to go.
Nice, thanks for the tip :)
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I LOVE that little pipe! I think you knocked it out of the park!
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Jesse!!