Shopsmith question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LexKY_Pipe

Shopsmith question

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I have the opportunity to pick up a Shopsmith for a steal. Has anyone used a Shopsmith to make pipes? Looks like a great machine with the lathe and drill press built in, along with a sanding disk and table saw. I'm just not that familiar with the tool.

Can you guys give me some advice?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

My recollection is that Brian Ruthenberg uses one. he posts here so hopefully he'll respond.

neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

YES, that is what I use. I do not use it as a lathe. I do all my drilling on it, buffing, and shaping on it. I made a plate and mounted a self-centering
vise on the tail end and therefore there is no need to stand it up in order to do my drilling. I use it as a horazontal (?) boriing tool. It was been working great for the last five years.
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Kirk

Thanks. Would you mind posting a photo or emailing a photo to me of the plate that you made for the self-centering vise.

loscalzo@iglou.com

Thanks
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
kbosi

Post by kbosi »

Email sent
Kirk Bosi
Bosi Pipes
Http://www.bosipipes.com
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

yes i do use a shopsmith and it works great. i only use it to drill the bowl and draft hole, i do convert it to a drill press, after i drill the draft hole with it in the boring machine configuration, to drill the bowl in the drill press mode.
It doesnt take long at all to covert it as random mentioned, it takes me maybe under 30 seconds to convert it from a boring machie to drill press. Your not changing anything but the configuration of the machine thats all. i also have a bandsaw attachment for mine, and use it as such after drill the bowl out. that takes maybe 30 seconds tops.
It works good and is very reliable, havent had any problems with mine at all. once it is squared up it works like a dream and is very fast.