still trying to improve

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
notow1

still trying to improve

Post by notow1 »

I really hate posting crappy photos but it's the only way I can hopefully get some feedback. I would be happy to receive any advice and opinions, thanks, Norm.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LatakiaLover

Re: still trying to improve

Post by LatakiaLover »

That pipe actually has solid, attractive lines. Like if a Devil Anse and a billiard had a love child, sorta. I don't know if you INTENDED that---maybe you were shooting for a classic billiard, in which case the shank is much too tapered, for example---but the result is all that counts.

Keep up the good work. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Norm,

That's some nice work. You really came a long way already from Chicago till now. For a classic billiard, George beat me to the punch.

I think the bottom of the bowl should have just a little bit more material just above the shank on the shank side. Also, the stem is a little short for a classic billiard. It should be 1/2 the length of the pipe for a classic billiard.

Other than that, it's looking pretty good.

You may want to experiment with staining techniques to give yourself a better contrast. What you have isn't wrong, but it's not very interesting.

Keep up the good work, Norm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

The stem taper is the most obvious thing that stands out. I would also say the bowl could use a little more body to it, and perhaps some more chin to the profile. It looks like there is some tear out at the stem shank joint or maybe just a small gap. A tip for the mortise. If you countersink the mortise very slightly, and then stain and finish the pipe, you can go back and resink the mortise and get rid of the stain there. It gives a much cleaner look. Also the proportions of bowl to shank are off. As are the stummel to stem. That is if you were going for a traditional billiard.
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Thank You for the comments. I knew the shank was too long for a proper billiard and made the stem the length it would be if the shank was correct, maybe not a good idea? The shank face could be much better and I am now following Mister Sandahl's advice to make sure My cutting tools are super sharp. That is a great tip on the counter sink and once again I am saying, Why didn't I think of that. The fact that George commented got Me so excited I almost dumped My coffee, thanks to all, Norm.