Pipe 3. Bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Dodson

Pipe 3. Bulldog

Post by Dodson »

I had to email the pic to myself in order to resize it. Hopefully the file size is ok. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to properly upload. Anyway here's pipe 3. I went for a bulldog, i think there one of the toughest looking shapes. I love this new hobby, feel free your rip this pipe apart! Thanks y'all
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.07 KiB) Viewed 752 times
Dodson

Re: Pipe 3. Bulldog

Post by Dodson »

I noticed you can't see the top of the shank/bowl junction. I'll get a pic with better lighting tomorrow.
Dodson

Post by Dodson »

Couple more pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 749 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 749 times
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Couple of quick things. First, pretty darn good for number 3. Seems like everyone's first pipes are much better than they used to be. Second, how did you carve the ring? Regardless, it's much too big. That grove should be half that width and it's also positioned too high on the bowl. I'd place it closer to the widest part of the bowl. Third, what's going on with your stem? Is that supposed to be a taper or a saddle? Looks like you couldn't decide. If it's a saddle you need to take off a lot more material on the stem. Last, the inside of the bowl is very dark. Is that the natural color of the wood? Did you sand out your chamber? I get a little nervous when I see briar that dark.

Overall, you should be proud. Bulldogs are not easy shapes to make. I made one the other day and barely saved it from the trash heap. Simple in concept, difficult to execute.
Dodson

Post by Dodson »

Thank ocelet!! I was planing on doing two thin rings and the tool I used ( I have a set of easy turn carbine tip deals from woodcraft) turned out wider then I thought it would so I didn't have enough room for the second ring :shock: . Thank you for your input on the stem. I was going for a saddle, I'll fix it tomorrow and post pics. The bowl was dark do to stain running down. I'll be sure to sand that out as well. This site has saved thousands of hours for us noobs. Thank you all!!!
Dodson

Post by Dodson »

Took some meat off the stem to take away from taper look as suggested. Better?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (112.85 KiB) Viewed 583 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.5 KiB) Viewed 583 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.28 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Dodson

Post by Dodson »

Iv been smoking out of it so the chamber is dark :)
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

:thumbsup: better!