Lundell Eskimo #2

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Lundell

Lundell Eskimo #2

Post by Lundell »

I took a break from trying to get a decent Billiard done, and decided to make something easier...... :roll:
Not happy with the stem. Not happy with the flaws in the briar, there's one not showing in the pictures that went strait through from the underside into the air passage. I filled it so now it works, but it means another shop pipe to the collection. Also I think the overall shape could've been "sharper"... sort of...
Thats what I think, what do you guys recon?

Thanks for looking! :D
sandahlpipe

Re: Lundell Eskimo #2

Post by sandahlpipe »

The saddle is too short for the stem. Maybe you needed to leave it that long to work with Delrin? I don't know. It changes angles from the top view at the end of the shank and beginning of the stem. That doesn't work for me.

Overall, it looks chunky. The bowl is a bit tall. If the bowl were shorter, you wouldn't have to leave the shank as thick.

I see you left the color fairly light. I think a darker stain would have hidden the flaws in the briar better.

But after saying all that, you've got yourself one awesome shop pipe.

Keep on making the pipes! It's nice to see you progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

Yes, the material I've got to work with is somewhat limiting. The Delrin is 7,2mm across and goes 10mm into the stem, that's why I went for a saddle instead of a tapered stem. And the only thing I have to make a stem from is an 18mm acrylic rod, which means it has to change angle at the shank/stem junction. It's not wide enough to do it like Eltang. However, I probably could have been a bit bolder shaping it!
I agree the bowl should be a bit shorter and the shank a bit thinner. I also think it should it should be wider from the top view. It would help make the sides sharper. Now I think the shank is too round.
I wanted the stain fairly light, in spite of the flaws, but I wanted the contrast to be darker, giving it more depth and making those birdseyes more pronounced. Didn't happen. Will have to keep experimenting with that.

Thanks for your input and support my friend! I truely appreciate you taking your time to comment what I do! :D
Charl

Post by Charl »

Go look at one of Eltang's, see what you missed, try again.
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

Charl wrote:Go look at one of Eltang's, see what you missed, try again.
You honestly think I tried making an Eskimo without checking out the masters work?! I'm sorry my pipe didn't turn out good enough to be confused with one of Mr Eltangs, but I think he is a tad more equipped when it comes to tools, machinery and material. Oh, and then there's those forty years of experience he's ahead of me... :wink: :lol:
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: Wasn't trying to be snotty, sorry if it came over that way.
For me personally, whenever I made a shape that I haven't done before, I first looked at pics, then did the pipe and then went back to good examples to see what I did wrong, how I can make it better etc.
Charl

Post by Charl »

And it IS a damn difficult shape to do!!
Lundell

Post by Lundell »

Charl wrote::lol: Wasn't trying to be snotty, sorry if it came over that way.
No worries! :D