My 2nd PIPE

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
FC3

My 2nd PIPE

Post by FC3 »

So here it is, my second pipe I've made from block to finished pipe! Praises are greatly appreciated but I would also like to hear what I need to work on for my next project other than a better source of briar than eBay :roll:
http://www.pipeandwine.com/2014/06/fathers-day-pipe/
Last edited by FC3 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FC3

Re: My 2nd PIPE

Post by FC3 »

I was thinking about refinishing it to something more black to bring a bit more contrast with the stem? I'm giving this to my dad for his fathers day present so I guess I need to figure it out soon...
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Next time, try to link the pictures right into the thread, instead of an external link.

You've got a lot more material you can remove from the top of the shank near the bowl and under the bowl. The symmetry on the top of the bowl is off. You have a large gap between stem and shank. Next time, fit your stem before you start sanding the end of your shank. That way you won't get the big gap between shank and stem. It should be impossible to feel where the shank ends and the stem begins.

Now go make another!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Nice job for a 2nd instead of darker for a contrast I'd go lighter imo

Sent from my banana phone.
FC3

Post by FC3 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Next time, try to link the pictures right into the thread, instead of an external link.

You've got a lot more material you can remove from the top of the shank near the bowl and under the bowl. The symmetry on the top of the bowl is off. You have a large gap between stem and shank. Next time, fit your stem before you start sanding the end of your shank. That way you won't get the big gap between shank and stem. It should be impossible to feel where the shank ends and the stem begins.

Now go make another!
Okay so I finally figured out the stem gap. I used a tennon cutter and the cutter was pushed down towards the guide pin creating a slight angle :roll: I really was at loss as to what happened there but it finally came to me. Solution I used a countersink to bevel the edge a bit more on the mortise and it fits much better.

As for the bowl... not so sure maybe the piece moved in the chuck a bit when I put the spade bit in? I suppose a lot of sanding could make that less noticeable LOL! Probably could have fixed that easier while I was turning it :lol:

The extra meat along the bottom that extends even forward of the bowl, is there a negative effect to this or is it more of an preference? The extra on top of the shank I really thought I got rid of that but now that you mention it... thanks for letting me know it is still there. My dad is a pretty good sized man and I was thinking the extra meat on the pipe would look and feel better for him. It sits nice as well so I am leaving it unless this would somehow effect the performance? I will do something about thinning down the stem though as it still looks a bit rough. Can you bend acrylic? I don't know but he may want a 1/8-1/4 bend.

Lighter color? I think I really like the idea but then the sandpits would really stick out. I may leave it as is but at least if I went with black it would hide the sandpits some.
Thanks for the input though.
I'm a work in progress just like my pipes!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

There are a couple reasons you may have a bowl that's off center to the chamber. Could be dull tools. Could be the jaws were moved between turning and drilling. Could be the speed is too fast or too slow.

As for the extra meat, it's not going to affect the function of the pipe, but it looks amateurish, which is common for a second pipe and not as much for later ones. I think you will find that just about everyone you ask who knows pipes will say it doesn't look right.

Acrylic does bend with proper heat. Take it slow when you do bend it. I don't think this pipe should have absent stem, though. It doesn't fit the design.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

I swear I looked at a different pipe yesterday. Could have been the beer. The shape is wonky a little too heavy on the bowl end. The off center of the bowl. Could be exaggerated by the angle of the photo. I think you should leave it as your second pipe. Your pops will be proud. My dad has one if my worst and loves it. Look back at it later just to see how you've progressed. Start with another one. This is a fine second attempt.

Sent from my banana phone.
FC3

Post by FC3 »

UPDATE: I dyed it a bit darker and changed the stem a bit as well as finally getting it to seat better by beveling the mortise a bit. I think it is ready now. Thanks for the input and feedback it is greatly appreciated!