My Two-Hour Pipemaking Video!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
WCannoy

My Two-Hour Pipemaking Video!

Post by WCannoy »

So I've been in contact with a local guy who has decided that he wants to make pipes. He has not yet made his first pipe, so I invited him over to the workshop to get a taste of what's involved in the process. I picked out a "demonstration grade" block, and pretty much rushed through all the basics of drilling and shaping the stummel and stem, sanding and finishing... and I managed to crank out a pipe in one work day. Yeah, I cut a lot of corners, and it's not a pipe I would be satisfied with stamping my name on, but I did set a new personal speed record! :lol:

Anyway, the guy was taking video the whole time, except for the sanding part because he was running out of battery by then. He posted it up to YouTube after condensing it down to a short two-hour clip. :D

So for those of you interested, enjoy!

phmann

Re: My Two-Hour Pipemaking Video!

Post by phmann »

Very cool video, thanks for sharing.
"A good pipe guides the restless mind."

-Manny

http://mriverapipes.wordpress.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Walt, you are a natural teacher, You need to make a segmented one With a lot of your own personal input, with stress on what you think along the way as to what you expect etc. I know it would be several tapes, Think what it would mean to the young carvers. :)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Thanks for sharing the video, Walt! I always enjoy seeing you work. If I lived a little closer, I'd love to come to your shop for a visit sometime.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

Thank you for posting this Walt! I really learn a ton by watching how you pros work. Sometimes I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel way too much.
Mike
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Thank you Walt for sharing the video.

Much appreciated.

Rob
baiguai

Post by baiguai »

Thanks so much for sharing this vid!
notow1

Post by notow1 »

Walt I really learn a lot from Your videos. I especially like the parts where I say, hey I do it like that. Then there are the parts where I say, why didn't I think of that. All of Your videos have taught Me something good and useful related to pipe making techniques, so I hope You keep making them when You have the time. Thanks, Norm.