Volcano #1

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
RobEsArt

Volcano #1

Post by RobEsArt »

Please critique.
I was going to write a little more, but trying to juggle many things lately and got pulled away.
This is my first attempt at a volcano. The stummel is Algerian plateaux and the stem is German ebonite with a buffalo horn inlay.
This pipe was the second in the same day to jump out of my hand during final buffing on the wheel. It bounced on the lathe bed and I had to sand it back twice to remove the dings and scratches. Then I wasn't happy with the stain, so I had to take several steps back and try again (3 times).
I think I am happy with the end result.
But not too proud to listen to advice.

Thank you for your assistance.
Rob
sandahlpipe

Re: Volcano #1

Post by sandahlpipe »

Rob,
The finish work on this piece is very nice. It looks like there is a little bit of fading on the edges, but it is also possible that it's just lighting. I think the stem is too chubby for the delicate bowl. Otherwise, the pipe looks good. Keep it up!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Thank you again.
This is the first pipe I tried using a seal coat of shellac. The first couple of attempts, I think I may have applied it to thick. During buffing (on this pipe in fact), I created 'granny skin' on the flat bottom section, and buffed through it in other areas. So I ended up wiping the whole stummel with alcohol and started the staining process over. The second attempt, I re-read earlier posts regarding the use of shellac, I did my best to follow the instructions, and I wasn't able to end with a very smooth seal coat, I had to do some sanding with 1000 grit to smooth out some lap marks. I got them out, and returned to the buffing process, took my time, and achieved this result.

Thank you for pointing out I'm a little chubby, I did just eat dinner. :lol: But seriously, thank you for that insight. I wasn't sure how to or where to go about/with this shape. I made the stem with a 1/2" tenon very early in the process, and that kinda limited me somewhat. I don't think that I will be trying the 1/2" tenon again anytime soon, I really don't see the benefit of it.

As for the lightening around edges... yeah you saw that accurately. But after staining this pipe 4 or 5 times (I seriously lost count), I wasn't sure how to bring those edges back. Suggestions?

Thank you
Rob
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The only way to restore the edges would be to sand off the rest of the stain and start over. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend that with this pipe. Just make sure to watch it next time. Finishing takes a long time to do right because of how much care you need to take. Try to get it fairly finished before buffing and try to avoid buffing the stummel with tripoli. Tripoli will take off the stain, especially on the edges.

Keep up the good work and can't wait to see the next pipe!
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

Thanks, I will try that on the next pipe with edges. Now if I could just learn how to do the seal/spit coat of shellac properly.
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

I have someone interested in this pipe.
What would be an appropriate price?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm not the right one to ask about pricing. I would recommend selling for slightly less than comparable pipes you can find. There are so many artisians out there that if you charge too much off the bat, you'll minimize your market.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl