pipe No.9

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
seamonster

pipe No.9

Post by seamonster »

Hey Gang,
Here is my latest, I welcome any feedback. I tried to apply some of the bowl-line advice from Jeremiah on the last pipe. This one is considerably thinner and lighter than my last few, so that feels like progress. I am happy with the shape and proportions, but I see my errors, too. I took a little too much off the bottom line of the shank, it
should curve down more, to follow the line of the stem. Also, this block is full of pits, but I figure at this point,
it's better that I chase after shape and finish. I can pitch bad blocks later.....

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Jeremy.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
sandahlpipe

Re: pipe No.9

Post by sandahlpipe »

The bottom line of the pipe should be continuous. It looks like you shaped the stummel to be more or less straight and angled the mortise so the stem is bent. If you're doing a bent stem, follow the curve of the stem all the way around the bottom of the bowl. Basically, the shank needs to come down a fair amount lower so it swoops up into the bowl. But you already knew that.

And you definitely don't want to chase flaws right now. Make the pipe you set out to make. If there are flaws, rusticate or sandblast it. Chasing the flaws will lead to shaping that shows you chased flaws.

Next time, try making a straight pipe. They are in some ways easier, but they are less forgiving on the shaping because there is such a thin line between a graceful straight pipe and an ugly one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Thanks Sandahl Pipe,

My thoughts on flaws right now is that since these pipes will never leave my house, unless their stuck in my mouth, then this is a great opportunity to practice polishing and finishing. Even if there are pits and what not, I can still practice and experiment. A sandblaster is way in the future, so I won't go there, and I'm not super crazy about rustication.... I'd rather practice getting a nice smooth finish, so when I get my hands on some decent blocks, I'll have that piece more figured out.

I like your idea about making a straight pipe, I have made a couple. 2 or 3 that NO ONE WILL EVER SEE and one that I think is pretty decent, if clunky. I did just get my hands on a small wood lathe, and need to do some tooling up before I bust into that world.

I think the very next pipe will be a redo of this one... I like this shape a lot, feels jaunty to me, but I didn't nail it this time, I'd like to give it another go or two to see if I can dial it in. You think that's a good move, or should I move on to something else.... Do I have more to learn from a straight pipe, or more from revisiting and improving on this design?

Thanks again for taking a look, and giving some feedback. Anything else? Finish looks okay, stain is okay? Pictures look good?

Cheers,
Jeremy.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Jeremy,

That's it from me for now. Let us know when you've got another one finished and we can look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

cool, thanks! I'm starting a new one tonight.

"...and saw clouds moving in the sky overhead in the shape of fabulous creatures."